LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to FTDI in Labview

Hello,

I am trying to communicate with a microcontroller through an FTDI chip in labview. My goal is to eventually send and recieve packets of information to and from the microcontroller but right now I am just trying to establish a connection. I programmed the microcontroller to send a string of data about once per second and I am having trouble reading it in labview. I can see the message in PuTTY.

Using these examples I have tried to connect to the microcontroller but I am a bit lost. I see that the example VIs use 'FT_Get_Device_Description_By_Index' and 'FT_Open_Device_By_Description' but I don't really get how they work. Can anyone help explain how to use them? I would prefer to use the VISA resource drop down selection menu.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,434 Views)

Hi ipatka

Which protocol are you using?

Which port are you using?

Are you connecting the device with a 232 cable to the serial port of the computer?

How are connecting the microcontroller to your computer?

Which operating system do you have?

Which version of LabVIEW are you using?

Which version of the NI VISA drivers do you have installed in your computer?

Have you seen these links?

FTDI chip

Labview with FTDI D2XX drivers?

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,391 Views)

Hi Esteban

I am communicating through UART

COM21

This connector

Windows XP professional

LabVIEW 2011 

not sure which VISA drivers

I've checked out those links

Thanks! I actually posted another question today as I have made some progress (but not much) communicating with my uC

Here is the link to that thread if you would like to take a look:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Can-t-get-bytes-from-uC-to-read-in-LabVIEW-FTDI-Serial/td-p/2447846

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,388 Views)