LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New concept evaluation, booted from two spots already and going for the third.

Ragewizard wrote:

Hi, all

I am an RC airplane hobbiest and I would like to build a test engine stand to test my engines with different props.  I would also like to tune the engines to get the peak performance out of my engines if possible.  Usually to do this, I place one of my motors on a test stand with a prop and start it up and put it through its paces while listening to the sounds.  Now I would like to actually quantify my results with a system that can be connected to my laptop.  Of course I have no idea how to put together a data acquisition system, but why let that stop me.  I thought I would pose a question here to see how much of a hassle it would be.  So below I have listed all my requirements and I hope that someone can direct me to atleast giving me a direction to start picking the components that I would need to achieve my goal.

RC Glow Motor Test Stand Requirements:

1.  Thrust measurement.  The engines can typically produce upto 25 lbs of thrust with a proper prop configuration.

2.  Temperature measurement.  The engines operate at temperatures that are comparable to a typical automobile engine ( -40 F to 400 F)

3.  Tachometer measurement.  The engines can turn as much as 20000 RPMs.  I have a optical tachometer that is suppiled from the hobby shop and works qute well with up to 4 blades on a prop. 

The above are the only 3 measurements that I need to tune the motors to maximize their performance.  In addition, it would be awesome if my data acquisition system wasn't tethered to a plug from a house which would be cause for an extention cord.  Battery powered is the best. 

Of course the final requirement is the data needs to be able to be displayed in a graph on the laptop computer.

Let me add that this is probably one of the most confusing boards ever, is there really that much traffic here to warrant all of the sub titles?  I would also like to add that I'm really just looking for something to buy that isn't too complicated if possible.  I feel that I could learn all of this stuff, but I really have no interest in this field, I'm just looking for something more than what I have for around $1000.  Well maybe $1500, if it goes to around $2000, I would cough up blood but I would probably still go for it.  $2500 would be excessive in my view.

Considering your hobby interests in this, a project in the april number of a magazine called elektor might be interesting. It is in the dutch issue which is the parent publication but there is an english edition too for both England and America and they supposedly run the same or similar projects although with a few months delay

I just checked on www.elektor.com and they run in the current number just about the same projects than in the dutch edition. The project I refer to is the Automatic Run-In Bench. It is the entire electronica including interfacing for a system that seems to do quite a bit of what you want. You can usually buy the PCB and sometimes the ready made board.

Modification of the software would be however with embedded tools, so not as comfortable as writing something in LabVIEW. Smiley Happy

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 03-24-2009 09:54 PM
Message Edited by rolfk on 03-24-2009 09:56 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 21
(389 Views)