LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Device Drivers Download Format

So I needed the new device drivers from last February.  Normally I get a package of the DVDs along with the developer suite but for some reason didn't get access to them.

So I google searched for the device drivers because I can never trust NI's site for searching.  The number one hit is this page

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-device-drivers-february-2015/5194/en/

This is part 1 of the device drivers I want.  Finding the other two links is less than obvious because you need to look under the installation instructions.  I'd expect all three pieces to be listed under the download section since that's what I need to do before attempting to install anything.

I eventually found the other two pieces:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-device-drivers-february-2015/5195/en/

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-device-drivers-february-2015/5196/en/

Now I expected these to work like the developer suite where you run the setup from the first disk and it will start the install and prompt you for the other disks if the chosen items were on them.  But I was wong, apparently you need to extract all three to the same location, and then run the setup.  Reading the instructions on the linked pages makes that a little clearer.

But what isn't mentioned is that these self extracting 7zip EXEs will self delete, after the extraction is done and they won't be in the recycling bin.  So I ran the first part, and the prompt asked to extract to the Feb15\DCD-Feb15-2 folder for some reason.  I changed it to  Feb15\DCD-Feb15-1.  And then after it was done I noticed the first part was deleted.  I actually wanted to copy this to several other PC but I guess I either need to waste the bandwidth to download it again, or copy the larger extracted pieces instead.  

Then I ran the second part and it prompted to extract to the Feb15\DCD-Feb15-1 folder, so I changed it to Feb15\DCD-Feb15-2.  When it was done it too was deleted but I backed this one up knowing this might happen.  Then I ran the third part and it prompted to extract to the Feb15\DCD-Feb15-1 folder again, so I changed it to Feb15\DCD-Feb15-3.  Also during the extraction of the third part the prompt is incorrect and states it is extracting part 2 of 3.

So lets summarize.

• Download parts hard to find
  • Instructions not like other NI products
  • Self extractions point to the wrong folders when they should all default to extracting to the same folder since this is what is required anyway
  • Files that took a long time to download delete themselves after the extraction is done
  • Part 3 has an incorrect prompt during the extraction
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,623 Views)

And your problem is......?????   Smiley Mad

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,613 Views)

@aputman wrote:

And your problem is......?????   Smiley Mad

Uh...

• Download parts hard to find
  • Instructions not like other NI products
  • Self extractions point to the wrong folders when they should all default to extracting to the same folder since this is what is required anyway
  • Files that took a long time to download delete themselves after the extraction is done
  • Part 3 has an incorrect prompt during the extraction
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,534 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

If you use NI's website to search, typing in "Device Drivers 2015" pulls up those links as the first three options. As for the extracted files, using the online downloader still has some issues not only for these drivers but for some of our other products as well. It is a process that we are constantly refining to be easier and more intuitive. The discs are the most surefire way to install our products. I'm glad that you were able to get your drivers up and running!

Paul C

Paul C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,476 Views)

LOL - I think he was miffed because the new behavior differend from the expected one with no fanfare and he had to go download them again - which is no easy task, given it's a DVD.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,462 Views)

@billko wrote:

LOL - I think he was miffed.

Yeah that's accurate.  It was a weekend project that I was frustrated with.

Still I had other problems, once the three pieces were extracted I ran the installer and it complained multiple times about missing or broken software components that couldn't be installed.  Hopefully I'll get some time to re-download and re-extract to try again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,456 Views)

Don't you love those weekend projects when you come in and the one resource you need is unavailable or not functioning properly?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,451 Views)