cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking the cDAQ 9188 - No "Network Devices" in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all:

I am having issues connecting my NI 9188 cDAQ via ethernet to my computer. MAX does not display it in its directory nor does it display the "Network Devices". Based on the guide NI provides, I don't know what else to do (I can't access the modules in a LabVIEW project which is my problem). 

I did use the online browser tool that seems to be the equivalent of MAX and that works fine - I can see the IP address of the controller and it shows which chassis slots are being used by what card. 

I tried manually inputing this IP into a remote system in MAX but that didn't work.

Any thoughts on how I can network the controller onto my host computer so I can actually use it in a LabVIEW project.

I have LabVIEW 2012 32 Bit. Would a student version be causing the problem?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,547 Views)

Do you have NI-DAQmx installed?  If so, which version?  If not, please download and install the latest version.  After that, you should be able to discover (they will show up automatically if your host PC and 9188 are on the same subnet, else you'll have to manually add it by IP address or hostname), Add, and Reserve (this step may be done implicitly by Adding) your chassis for use.

You should note that you won't be able to use the C Series modules directly in your LabVIEW project.  You'll have to use NI-DAQmx to program your chassis and modules in LabVIEW.  Alternatively, you can use NI-DAQmx channels and tasks in either NI MAX or in the LabVIEW project to simplify the programming somewhat.  You can find NI-DAQmx LabVIEW examples in the NI Example FInder (Help>>Find Examples in LabVIEW).

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,546 Views)

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will attempt that solution shortly. I don't have access to the host computer right now. I'll keep you posted.

Once again, I truly appreciate the prompt, thorough response.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,543 Views)

Hi:

I downloaded and installed DAQmx 9.9. Restarted the computer and all NI services. I still cannot see the daq in the remote systems in MAX. 

I'm using version 5.6 of MAX.

I can use the network browser through chrome and I see the IP of the controller. I tried adding that IP manually in MAX but it returns an error. 

The controller is connected to the host PC via ethernet is is clearly recognized by the online browser tool. I'm not sure where to proceed...thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,418 Views)

I always have a tough time getting these to work the first time.  I assign a static IP address, then have my ethernet setup to be on that same subnet.  So my device is 10.10.10.100 and my computer I set to 10.10.10.0 on that network interface.  After a few power cycles on the chassis, and reserving the device usually it is happy.  I had hoped that the expierience over the years had gotten more automatic, but apparently not.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,402 Views)

Hi cuaerospace-

Can you clarify which NI services you needed to restart?  Were you trying to debug or be proactive in this, or were some of them stopped or otherwise failing?

What error did you see in MAX when you tried to add the chassis manually?  If you did not have the Network Devices heading, where did you try to add it?  

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,394 Views)

So I installed daqmx 9.9 - that did not work.

I then got version 9.6 which is what came with the hardware on the CD ROM. That still does not allow me to see the controller in MAX.

In terms of the restart, I went to tools in MAX and selected reset configuration data.

I thought it was a version issue with daqmx but clearly that hasn't solved my problem. I can only view the controller in the network browser.

When I add the chassis, I take the IP or the hostname from the network browser page (hostname I can technically generate myself as I know the hardware name and serial number) and manually add them in MAX after pressing "Create New".

I am forced to select a device that is not on the subnet - I am then prompted to enter the hostname or the IP. 

Error once I put in the IP: The device at this address is not supported by the drivers installed on this host. 

Error once I put in the Hostname: Unable to initialize connection to the remote target.

Your help is appreciated.

EDIT: Hoovah

I am unfamiliar with the method you describe but I do agree with the whole power cycling to get some of these products to work. I've had to do this many times with the cRIO. Any chance you can give a bit more of a explcit step-by-step description of your approach? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,376 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cuaerospace

@cuaerospace wrote:

I am unfamiliar with the method you describe but I do agree with the whole power cycling to get some of these products to work. I've had to do this many times with the cRIO. Any chance you can give a bit more of a explcit step-by-step description of your approach? Thanks!

Okay so here is what I did to try to reproduce and have a step by step of what I needed to do.

First I reset my cDAQ so that it would hopefully be in the mode yours is.  To do this I held down the Reset button for more then 5 seconds.  I also have all my network devices set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" in the IPv4 settings in my Network Connections.

After this I launch MAX.

Go to Devices and Interfaces >> Network Devices then I right clicked and choose Find Devices.  It took a long time and the list was empty, but then I noticed that while it was still searching in that window, the MAX window showed my cDAQ-9188 which was a white device.  There it listed the IP address as 169.254.93.149.  At this point if I went to the device in MAX I've seen it where it some times states under the Network Settings that no network adapters found.

So I closed MAX and opended my "View Network Connections" in Windows, I just searched that term in the start menu.  Then went to the properties of my device, went to IPv4 Properties, set the IP address to 169.254.93.0 with default gateway to 255.255.0.0.  This is so I am on the same subnet as the device.

I then relaunched MAX now when I go to the device under network devices and Network Settings I can set the IP to Static and 10.10.10.100 with subnet being 255.255.0.0 then save.  Then closed MAX.

Then I went back to my View Network Connections, set static to what I really wanted which is 10.10.10.0

Then launched MAX.  Find my device which is still white, click Add Device.  And then all is good.  I don't know if all of these steps are needed, and I don't know if there is an easier way but this has worked for me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,368 Views)

Hey guys, I got it working. Thanks to Hoorah!

Thanks to everyone for the help. I was looking in remote systems instead of devices on my local connection.....rookie mistake.

Thanks again all!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,362 Views)