From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Labview and C++ Application

This is all normal behavior for a firewall.  It makes sense for the firewall to alert you when the program first starts listening rather than waiting for a connection to be established.  You have time to take an action before another program connects to that port, and once the firewall is configured to allow connections, there's no disruption when something does connect (if the firewall popped up at that point, you'd have to deal with networking timeout problems).  Also, generally a firewall allows a specific program access to a particular port or range of ports.  You (or your network administrator) probably already allowed LabVIEW to access the network.  When you build an application, it's no longer running inside LabVIEW so the firewall needs a new rule for that new program.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(383 Views)

@DLabview wrote:

I did, it only gives me ERROR 56.

I think I understood what the problem is.

I tried to make the vi into an executable, when I run the executable a dialog from Windows firewall pops up, so I guess that is a firewall issue.

It's very weird by the way, because the firewall pops up when I start to listen for incoming connections, not when my C++ program tries to connect to the LabVIEW vi.

I don't really know a whole lot about firewalls but it does not make too much sense to me, because when I run the vi within the LabVIEW environment there is no firewall dialog. 😞

@Darin.K

Thank you for your effort, I'll try your vi on monday when I go back to work 🙂

Firewalls provide a layer of network security and can and will block both incoming traffic and servers. If you think about it letting a service run that can accept connections opens a door into your computer. You now have a process running on your machine getting input from outside of your network. To prevent this firewalls are able to block servers from starting in the first place.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(382 Views)

Unfortunately the firewall decided to mess me up, I have to see I can be allowed to continue on this path by the IT guys.

Thank you anyway guys.

@Darin.K could you mention some other forms of IPC between Qt and LabVIEW (more precisely, I want to send data from LabVIEW to Qt)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(362 Views)