LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networked Database speed issue...

I can not agree strongly enough with the point that Lynn made about making IT your ally. A major justification for using a database is to have a structured data repository that is easier maintain. So what makes more sense than leveraging the skills you already have within your organization? If you went to the discussion thread I referenced earlier, a major argument againt the DCT is that it hides the very things (ADO/SQL/database experience) that would allow you to leverage the skills of others.

It may take a bit of negotiation, but if you can swing that retargeting of your database, many many many of your problems would go away. The SQL for creating the tables would likely have to be tweaked slightly to be usable with whatever DBMS they have on the network, but you only have 4 or 5 tables right? You get the right guy interested in your project and they might even offer to rework the data model for your database and make it more efficient.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(426 Views)

also attaching the database - with most of the data removed.  I did leave a few samples of logged data - w some data elements stripped out.  As of today, there were 148000 log entries in the live database. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(423 Views)
Um.... it doesn't look like anything is attached.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(412 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
Um.... it doesn't look like anything is attached.

Mike...

When he said "most" data removed i assumed something would be left. 😄

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(398 Views)

wow... I swear nothing is cooperating with me this week.... lol.... 

attaching...again... 

(Ok not working... attaching as an excel spreadsheet...)

To the comments regarding IT help, honestly that's the reason I turned to the forum.  The only IT support we have on site is desktop support.... any support from our corporate IT has to be scheduled - unless there is an outage.  They aren't classifying this as an outage...though we are taking a productivity hit...

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(384 Views)

OK. That made it.

Now, tell us exactly what the LV part of the program would do with this data.  What does the user enter? What does the program "sort"? What is done with the result?

Make sure that you protect yourself. Inform the production manager (or other suitable executive) that (1) IT has not helped and (2) the result is a productivity hit.  At least at first, be polite in the way you do this, because you may still want IT to help.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(370 Views)