LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network speed test throughput monitor

I am looking for a quick and dirty speed test to continously monitor the bidirectional throughput of a transponder and POE device while they are undergoing environmental testing.

Would be nice if it could log throughput, dropped packets, and bit error rates between two computers and did not crash when a fault causes one end to stop responding like the C program we have now.

Our C programmer looks at us like we are insane when we ask him to not stop display an errror if the client or server times out. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,285 Views)

Start here: http://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/handling-errors

Depending on your version of LabVIEW, you can use Clear Errors to get rid of the error you're seeing if it's a timeout error easily.  You know the error code.  If you're using 2014, just wire the error code into Clear Errors.  If you're using an older version, unbundle the error code from your error cluster and feed it into a case structure.  Default case wires the error straight through.  The timeout case runs Clear Errors.

He's looking at you like you're crazy because you should implement error handling of some kind versus a pure supression of all errors.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,256 Views)

Yes, I know how to handle and suppress errors in LabView. I was mainly looking for a good example on a network speed test.

The test we have uses was written by one of our software guys, it uses two computers in a client-server arrangement and stops and displays an error message when the client computer loses connection to the server. Regardless of the reasoning I have given the programmer refuses to change it because he wrote the test for him and that's how he wants it.

I want a program that can use one computer with two network cards. 

It will send a data stream out one NIC, through the UUT, and back in the other NIC.

Where it Will be checked for errors and dropped packets, and sent back through the UUT.

A continuous throughput speed measurment will also be logged along with errors, dropped packets, and retries.

I have never used any of the LV networking, tcp, etc  VI's and was hoping someone had done this before because I do not have time to start from scratch.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,228 Views)

Here is some documentation on basic TCP/IP Communication in LabVIEW:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2710/en/

Is this something you are looking for?  Hope this helps.

-Devon R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,185 Views)