LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need of VI to measure forces from kistler dynamometer

I am looking for a Vi that would let me measure cutting forces from a kistler dynamometer through a DAQ
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,837 Views)
As I remember from a project using Kistler force-transducers, they output a charge (for more/better info go to www.kistler.com).
Use a charge-amplifier to convert the charge to voltage. Some types need resetting since they use the principle of integration (not DC stable).
P. de Boevere (info@serenity.nl)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,837 Views)

Hi,did you get assisted?i need the exact same thing please advice..thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,020 Views)

Hi Lucie,

asking in a 13 years old thread isn't the perfect start in the forum 😄

Well, the second answer still applies: it depends on the sensing device. Will it output a voltage proportional to force or does it output a charge? In 2nd case you need a charge amplifier converting the charge to a voltage signal…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,017 Views)

KIstler now offers a CompactRIO module called the 5171 which should work well with the Kistler dynamometer.   In addition, they offer in-line charge convertors that would allow you to interface with an NI 923X module.   

http://www.kistler.com/us/en/products/components/signal-conditioning/charge-amplifier-module-5171a-f...

With the one or four-channel 24-bit charge insert, 5171A, Kistler is now offering the option of dispensing with such auxiliary devices. This not only simplifies wiring and configuration, but also leads to an enhanced signal quality. Measuring ranges from ±1’000 pC up to ±1’000’000 pC allow signals of different sizes to be acquired at high resolution.

The usable frequency range, depending on the selected charge range, is up to 20 kHz and a sample rate of up to 50.8 kSps is possible. For less dynamic applications the module impresses with the possibility of quasi-static measurements down to almost 0 Hz. This enables, for example, the acquisition of slow force sequences.  

One characteristic of PE sensors is their impressively broad, high-resolution measurement range. A force sensor prestressed with a Mega-Newton can accurately measure signals in the range of a just a few Newtons without difficulty. Furthermore, the impressive rigidity yields very high natural frequencies, permitting a wide utilization spectrum, making PE sensors ideal for very fast processes. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,844 Views)