LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in vi conversion from LV 7.1 to LV 2017. Window

Solved!
Go to solution

Tried to use with Labview 2017 and get a message that sub VIs are not executable. I think i have standard library VIs. May be I need to convert sub VIs first?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,152 Views)

Hi TimePhase,

your VI already is in LV2017 version - please use a better (more descriptive) thread title next time!

Your VI has a filesize of >10MB, which is unusual big. Are you sure your VI needs to be this big?

What errors are shown when you try to start your VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 20
(3,144 Views)

Sorry, I sent you a saved version that I tried to import in LV 2017. Here attached is the original LV7.1 version. It is even larger in size.

Thank you for fast response.

TimePhase

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,111 Views)

I just took a look at Single Event Logger.  It looks like an extremely simple DAQmx acquisition task, something that (although I hate to suggest it) you could probably accomplish by installing LabVIEW 20xx, opening a blank VI, finding DAQmx in the Measurement I/O Palette, and dropping down the (Dreaded) DAQ Assistant.

Getting away from Traditional DAQ and into DAQmx is one of the best reasons to migrate from LabVIEW 7.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 20
(3,105 Views)

Thank you for looking at this. Did you look at the file that I submitted in my second message?

As I understand you suggest rewriting VI in the newer version of Labview. I am novice to Labview and it will be time consuming for me. Why this VI can not be just converted to the new version of Labview?

TimePhase

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,072 Views)

Hi TimePhase,

your old VI was using an acient hardware driver. This hardware driver isn't supported anymore.

Does this answer your question?

- DAQmx is very easy to learn

- NI provides lots of free stuff to learn LabVIEW…

Why this VI can not be just converted to the new version of Labview?

It can be converted, you already did this on your own. But you also have seen the problem: you miss the needed hardware drivers…

Another reason to recreate that VI from scratch: it's huge! Being that huge is often a sign of "insanity": After converting your 50MB VI to LV2011 it was saved with ~11MB filesize. After deleting the graph data the filesize reduces to ~5MB - this is still huge! (Most of my VIs stay well below 100kB in filesize…)

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 6 of 20
(3,066 Views)

Hi GerdG,

Thank you for looking at this again.I also noticed that when I saved it in 2017 it got smaller. Why should I be concerned with its size?

Where can I get the new hardware drivers? I just need to link it to another drivers library?

When I tried to use it in LV 2017 it gave me a message that a lot of subvis are not executable. May be I need to get these the new versions of these subvis?

Thank you in advance for answering 

Timephase

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,061 Views)

Hi timephase,

Why should I be concerned with its size?

Simple rule: The bigger the filesize, the more errors can occur…

Yes, LabVIEW has it's bugs. And using such huge VIs is like calling for buggy behaviour - there even is/was an error message about "insane" VIs!

Where can I get the new hardware drivers?

You can install them from the installation disks you got for your LabVIEW version…

I just need to link it to another drivers library?

No. You need to recreate your VIs to use the new driver.

DAQmx uses a very different approach in comparison to old TraditionalDAQ…

When I tried to use it in LV 2017 it gave me a message that a lot of subvis are not executable. May be I need to get these the new versions of these subvis?

You need to replace all code which calls the old TraditionalDAQ driver…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 8 of 20
(3,046 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I do not know if I can do it on this board but what it will take if I ask you to write me a version of my VI in the new DAQem so it will be compatible with LV2017?

This VI is getting data from 6115 board at given acquisition rate when triggered by one of the signals, displays the signal and has an option to store the data. 

Timephase

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,034 Views)

sorry DAQmx

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,033 Views)