LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help communicating LabVIEW with Rosemount 3051S pressure transmiters (with HART protocol)

Hello,

We just got some Rosemount 3051S pressure transducers that work with the HART protocol, since I've never worked with any of these "smart devices" before, I don't know how to get the pressure data collected in LabVIEW. When we received the transducers, they came with only the transducers, no power adapters and other cables were provided, what I tried to do was: I bought the 24VDC power adapters and put some 250 ohm resistors in the loop so I can convert the 4-20 mA signal to 1-5 VDC votage signal, but for some reasons the voltage signal was fluctuating randomly, the error is way too big to be used. I came across this forum when searching for a new solution, I read some posts in similar problems but due to my limited knowledge in EE, I still couldn't get a clear image :(, I wish you gurus could tell me what hardware and/or software do I need to make this work.

Thank you in advance!

H.J.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,593 Views)

Basicly I just want to be able to collect the signal with a NI DAQ, it seems like if I don't put the resistor, then the HART function won't even work, so does that mean I can just use the 4-20 mA analog signal to calibrate the transmiters? then I just need a current DAQ from NI...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,578 Views)

Hello, 

There is this example on using HART protocol with LabVIEW.  If the output of the transducer is 4-20 mA and is linear with the pressure then you can calibrate the transducer and use an current input device.   

Thank you, 

Justin 

Justin
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer - Conditioned Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,550 Views)

Hi H.J.!

I've been facing a similar problem.

I have in my instrument a Rosemount3051cd transducer and IoTech Personal Daq55 board, connected to an USB cable.

I'm planning to build the same circuit like yours to convert the current to volt.
You mentioned a fluctuation in the volt signal. Did you solve it?

Do you suggest me to build the circuit to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Roberto

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,119 Views)