From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need SERIAL.LLB & _sersup.llb with U32 baud for Windows ME FOR LV 4 like 5.1's

[Yes I own LV 7.1, 6.0.3, 5.1, 4, and 3.1 and have a current subscription!]
I cannot upgrade this LV 4 application to 5.1, etc. (Still stuck with Test Executive for this product!)

Problem: The Serial Port Reset.vi (inside _sersup.llb) I have says it's for Windows 3.1 which works just fine, but...
I need one callable from LV 4 that works just like the ones available in LV 5.1 which supports U32 for baud rate (needed for 115,200).

Can someone please provide it?

I can change the inputs and bundle def to U32 on the Serial Port Reset.vi & Serial Port Init.vi VIs that I have, but that generates an error when passing the bundle to the Device Control/Status "routine" (whatever it is! A .dll I presume... wherever that is...I might be able to use my U32 change if I could change out thisDevice Control/Status thing? Anyone know?)

Many thanks for your help,

:-)> Roger Owens
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,104 Views)
Roger,

Unfortunately I do not have this file but if you have LabVIEW 4 then you should be able to install it save the files you need. Maybe someone in the community has what you are looking for otherwise.

Craig H.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,084 Views)
Installing LV4 "for Windows 95" on a Windows XP computer, still loads Windows 3.1 LLB's. I had the same idea. I guess, I'll try to load a fresh copy of it on a Windows ME machine, but I think others have already done that.

Does anyone know how to change the call in the Serial Port Reset.vi (inside _sersup.llb) to the CONTROL/STATUS routine? I assume it is a in a DLL somewhere and is an API to Windows "call." I was hoping I could change where it points (and call the one LabVIEW 5.1 uses), as you can in a CIN call, etc., but I guess LV 4 is just too promitive.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,074 Views)
Can you simply install the dll you need and then call the functions directly?

If you can clarify a bit I'll try to add more to the post!

Thank you,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,062 Views)
I have re-coded the Serial Port Reset vi in _sersup to be exactly like LabVIEW 5.1 version of same VI. It generates no error, but still does not change the baud rate to 115.2K as I am requesting.

I don't know how to provide anyone with more details. The thing that doesn't work is the routine called CONTROL/STATUS. It looks like a call to a DLL function/CIN. LabVIEW 4 does not let me see/change this "call." If I could just call the one that LV 5 calls, it'd probably work, but LV4 will not let me change anything. I could try replacing it with a call to something else, but I don't even know where that something else is, since I presume the CONTROL/STATUS routine is inside a library of some kind with a file name I do not know or that Control/Status is just part of/built-in to LabVIEW (each version is different).

If anyone has a way that I can set the baud rate, stop bits/parity, etc. without using this Serial Port Reset.vi in _sersup.llb, I'd be greatful for showing me the way.
Thanks,Roger
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,043 Views)
For your reference, here is a KB about what baud rates are supported ...

The pertanant part is this:

One interesting note is that the argument LabVIEW expects (for pre-LabVIEW 4.1 versions) is an unsigned 16-bit integer (i.e., a maximum integer value of 65536). In order to select a baud of 115.2k, you will have to enter 65536 [ 115.2k / 65536 = 1.76, which gets rounded to 1 as a result of the integer division ]. The Win32 SDK and LabVIEW version 4.1 or later takes an unsigned 32-bit integer.

I hope this helps you.

Tim

~Tim
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,996 Views)
Thanks, Tim. I had never been able to find this KB in my searches.
I will certainly try this the next time I can.
Unfortunately I had to ship using only 38KB.
We may be abandoning using the RS422 anyway, since we'll soon have the ability to "reprogram" the unit through a 1553 interface at much higher rates, but maybe not, so...
Many Thanks,
:-)> Roger
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,979 Views)