LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Guidance about .NET with LabVIEW

Hello to all

I am a student & a LabVIEW user and I have came to know that .NET is a
useful tool if you are a LabVIEW programmer.
I need soome guidance , that Should I learn the ASP.NET and if yes then
in
what ways it is going to help me(a LabVIEW user) and what exactly
should I learn in .NET.

I am a student who needs some guidance so please forgive me if anybody
dont likes my query.

Thanks&Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,854 Views)
For the .Net environment NI provides support software for .net called
Measurement Studio .Net this will help to you.

This Asp.net knowledge is enough to write code in .net environment...
Also you study delegates, threading and event handler to make good
programs in .net

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,854 Views)

Thanks, JackNI

Now i want to ask you that, is it possible that, without using Measurment studio, can we attach the vis of the LV to the modules of the .NET, either ASP.NET or VB..NET or VC..NET?? bcoz Measurment studio is the costly softare to buy, so can be there any other options to implement this? coz if it is then it is the good solution to implement and it also can solve the problem of communication of LV with the database programs, like SQL or Access etc..

Thanks,

Nishant

Message 3 of 6
(2,853 Views)
If your final goal is to communicate with an ODBC compliant database and cost is an issue, then the following migh prove extremely usefull: -

http://www.jeffreytravis.com/lost/index.html
Here you will find a "toolkit for using Microsoft's ADO ActiveX component in LabVIEW to connect to and run SQL queries on any ODBC-compliant database, such as Access, SQL Server, Oracle, etc."

This could significantly reduce your development effort and concentrate your resources in one area.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,824 Views)
Thanks Conselis,

Thanks for the help man, but to use the .NET is not only for the databae connectivity but it is also required for the GUI, which I think .NET can provide better than the LV, and I am working on the configuration softwares, so that i am always concerned with the GUI performance, so i want to use the .NET.

Thanks,
Nishant
Message 5 of 6
(2,815 Views)
I'll confess that I'm not certain exactly what it is you want to know, but you might not be sure either...

First off, no - you don't need to know ASP.NET unless you are wanting to create web applications. You can use ASP.NET to create the web front end and then have that call your LabVIEW VIs. See http://detritus.blogs.com/lycangeek/2005/05/labview_and_asp.html and related posts on my blog if you are interested in that.

If you want to create a "regular" Windows application, then you don't need to use .NET WinForms (the specific part of .NET designed for creating Windows GUIs). LabVIEW provides most of what you need in that case. Using LV 8, you can also embed .NET WinForm controls into a LV diagram. You mention that you are concerned with GUI performance, but I'm not sure why you think LV is going to be worse at that than .NET...Is there something specific you are thinking of?

Finally, LV can call out to any .NET assembly if you have already existing code built that way (such as anything in the .NET framework...those classes whose namespace starts with System).

So, there is my blanket response, but please post back with more specific questions and I'd be happy to help.

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,799 Views)