LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation Window hangs labview when it is opened.why?

HI ,

Recently I decided to upgrade my labview projects from LV8 to LV13. I installed LV13 perfectly and I make a small project to test it. every things was very well . But when i try to open older version projects(from LV8) , develpment environments changes that i like to do (some simple works like wiring and deleting some objects,etc)take too long to update . This phenomena will be occur just when I  open "Navigations Window"!! If i close navigations window every things will be ok and no problem occurs, but when i open navigation window suddenly LV treat something like crashing and updates very late, also cpu usage reach very high until 100%(from task manager i said). 

what will be the problem?

and what I must to do to solve the problem?

i should say that i do some revisions below but nothing was changed:

1) I upgraded my graphic card to  an external card(2GB)

2) I Mass compile al VIs from older version and save them

3) I reduce compiler optimization to "0" . " Tools > Options > Environments > Compiler

and also I considered some other advices here and here

Is there any way to solve?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,373 Views)
When LabVIEW opens the nav window it is having to render your entire BD (which I'm guessing is rather large) in that window at reduced size. So my guess is that it is just taking a long time. The solution is to redesign/rewrite the code so you don't need the navigation window to navigate.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,362 Views)

Yes, my VIs are big and full of wires and also LV13(on Windows 7) has no problem with small and simple VIs in the same old project LV8. But I can edit big VIs in LV8 without any problem (on windows XP)!

[I must say that I want to upgrade my projects from Windows XP to Windows 7 at the same time from LV8 to LV13.]

Isn't this a downgrade with LV13 that we forced ourselves to make small and simple VIs?? isn't there any better solution??

What do you think about using a more powerfull computer as a LV developer?

My compuer now is old one with this specifications(passes requirements as i read from NI website😞

MainBoard : GA-G31M-S2C

CPU : Intel Core2Dou 2.5GHz 2.5 GHz

RAM : 4GB DDR2 (3GB usable)

Graphics: XFX Radeon 5450 (2GB)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,345 Views)
"Isn't this a downgrade with LV13 that we forced ourselves to make small and simple VIs?? isn't there any better solution??"

No, actually its an opportunity for you to go back and fix what you screwed up the first time.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,283 Views)

@iamsaber wrote:

Yes, my VIs are big and full of wires and also LV13(on Windows 7) has no problem with small and simple VIs in the same old project LV8. But I can edit big VIs in LV8 without any problem (on windows XP)!

Earlier you said that editing is also fast on the new system and the problem occurs only if the navigation window is open. Did I understand that right?

If you need to rely on the navigation window to find your way around your own code during editing or maintenance, your VIs are probably very poorly designed. Just don't use the navigation window. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,188 Views)
altenbach! yes you got it true.I know that my VIs were poorly designed but I can editing them in LV8(windows xp) without any problem.I tought that the newer LV13 must be more powefull to edit and compile and so on.My main question is :"why LV13(on win7) cant edit the same poorly designed VIs that I can edit by LV8 (on win xp)?? isnt it a weakness for LV13 to not using nav window bcs it cant render poorly codes??
Can i increase the porocess power of LV13 for supporting editing poor VIs by upgrading my developer pc?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,089 Views)
isnt it a weakness for LV13 to not using nav window bcs it cant render poorly codes??

*** No

Can i increase the porocess power of LV13 for supporting editing poor VIs by upgrading my developer pc?

*** Maybe marginally. I wouldn't hold out too.much hope. The solution is to fix the code. That could easily give you orders of magnitude differences.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,078 Views)

Irrespective of the code quality, the question is about the difference between LabVIEW  8 and LabVIEW 2013 and why the old version seem to perform better in this particular case. It is difficult to judge if it is really the difference in the LabVIEW version, some subtle bug in 2013, a side effect of a new 2013 feature or bug fix, or something completely unrelated to LabVIEW.

Of course a direct comparison is difficult, because you seem to be changing not only the LabVIEW version, but also the OS, and the computer hardware. Is windows 7 64bit or also 32bit? How different is the amount of RAM? How about differences in all other running processes ?

Also be aware that even LabVIEW 2013 is already pretty old. The newest version is 2015. Do you have an example Vi the you could post that demonstrates the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,004 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Of course a direct comparison is difficult, because you seem to be changing not only the LabVIEW version, but also the OS, and the computer hardware. Is windows 7 64bit or also 32bit? How different is the amount of RAM? How about differences in all other running processes ?

Also be aware that even LabVIEW 2013 is already pretty old. The newest version is 2015. Do you have an example Vi the you could post that demonstrates the problem?

Actually I dont want to compare LV8and LV13. I said that in this case (using nav windows for editing poorly designed codes), this will be a weaknees for LV13.

My new computer is something like this :

MainBoard : GA-G31M-S2C

CPU : Intel Core2Dou 2.5GHz 2.5 GHz

RAM : 4GB DDR2 (3GB usable)

Graphics: XFX Radeon 5450 (2GB)

LABview ver. : 2013

I also attach some code of my projects(LV8 Version). Open them on your PC and see if the problem exist yet ? 

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,953 Views)

The navigation window works just fine on the front panel.

I cannot test the block diagram, because it has a password.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,941 Views)