cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming third party devices

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am reasonably familiar with the basics of Labvew coding and device handling, but until recently I have always used National Instruments decives. I recently installed a DAQ from Measurement computer (USB-202), and successfully installed their Labview drivers. Where I am running into an issue is that I am running 5 different DAQ devices, and I would like to give them each meaningful IDs, instead of Dev0, Dev1, etc. I know this is simple enough using MAX, but the Measurment computer devices are not picked up by MAX. I've tried renaming the devices using the software provided by Measurement Computing, but it doesn't seem to communicate this to Labview. Is there a way to name the devices in a way that Labview recognizes?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,908 Views)
What did Measurement Computing say when you asked them?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,893 Views)

I left simultaneous questions both here at at Measurement Computing. They responded shortly after you did here. For future help, here's what they said:

"You can indeed read back the manufacturer's name of an MCC device, as shown in InstaCal, From the Function palette, in ULx for NI LabVIEW, where we've populated our vi's, there's one called Task node.  Add that one immediately following the Create Channel vi.  Wire the task and error wires.  Double click on the first item, a menu will pop up, select DeviceName and Viola!  When you run the vi it will display the device's name/model."

I haven't tested it out yet, but it sounds like it's not an issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TMorgan

A quick update. I implimented the above code, and found that it reads out the device number (e.g. Dev0), but does not provide a way to name the device something meaningful. A subsequent call found that such an operation was not possible,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,759 Views)