From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXG and Actor Framework

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone know if an updated Actor Framework is or will be available in NXG?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,385 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CanadaGuy

NXG 1.0 has no classes, so no chance.

The 2.0 beta has classes, but as of when I last checked, no Actor Framework. I would, with no evidence at all, suggest that it's unlikely to be a very high priority when it comes to implementing examples and frameworks in NXG.

Perhaps version 3.0 (or hey, 2.0 if we're super lucky, but don't hold your breath) might have AF.

If you're using/writing Actor Framework code, my guess is you're going to be sticking with Current-Gen for a little while. However, once NXG has classes (2.0) you could I suppose in principle just rewrite the AF code in NXG based on the existing code, which you can open the block diagrams of freely. I would imagine this to be a rather large expenditure of time and probably not productive, since I can't imagine AF won't be published for NXG sooner or later.

I haven't used the code conversion utility, but that might also be a possibility for 2.0. Throw all of the AF library into a copied project, then try and convert it to NXG, and see what comes out. Take care not to accidentally trash your nice LabVIEW 201x/vi.lib though 😉

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,317 Views)

Good summary, and yeah, I didn't even think about the class requirement. Overall NXG has huge learning curve for existing users, at least in my opinion, so I'm sticking with 201x for quite a while I think...at least for the larger applications.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,298 Views)

Yes - I agree it seems a bit tricky to transition. There's an online course I believe, which I'm planning on taking a shot at, but I haven't looked through it yet.

I put it off when it became obvious I wouldn't be able to move my Actor Framework code right now 🙂

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,291 Views)

As a quick update: Actor Framework is now available in NXG.

Here's me trying it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48oaT4r90oE

Message 5 of 5
(1,796 Views)