From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIORBU.DLL won;t register under Windows 7 Ultimate

When I installed the base LabView 9 package, at the end I got an alert that windows\system32\niorbu.dll was not valid. Ran regsvr32 and stated that the dll was not supported by the O/S.

Any workarounds or hotfixes for this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,021 Views)

Hi MichaelPerry,

niorbu.dll is not based on COM/OLE/ActiveX, so there is no need to run regsvr32. Could you post the original error message?

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,014 Views)

Brad K.,

On cold boot up, an alert box pops up, titled "NiDevmon.exe bad image".

Text of the alert states: "C:\WIndows\System32\niorbu.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,998 Views)

Hi Mike,

nidevmon.exe is part of NI-DAQmx, and niorbu.dll is a shared component that is distributed with NI-DAQmx and some other NI drivers. Did you already have NI-DAQmx or any other NI hardware drivers installed? When you installed LabVIEW 2009, did you also load the NI Device Drivers DVD, or did you skip that part?

Do you have a virus scanner or software firewall installed?

Can you open Measurement & Automation Explorer and create a "technical support report"? (Select "File >> Create Report..." from the menu, then select "Technical support".)

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,986 Views)

Brad,

In answer:

1. No other drivers, I did load the device drivers DVD and installed about 120 default selection items.  The machine was a new build w/ Win 7 Ultimate. HP dc7900 w/ 4 gb ram.

2. Kaspersky VS, no firewall

3. Will do Tuesday, we closed at Noon today for the 4th.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,977 Views)

Brad,

Here is the support doc for Mike's PC

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,928 Views)

Hi Mike and Ken,

Thanks, I see that you installed LabVIEW 2009 SP1, the Feb 2010 Device Drivers DVD, NI-DAQmx 9.0.2, and NI-DAQmx 9.1.1, then repaired the installation of NI-DAQmx 9.1.1. Does this PC have any National Instruments hardware devices installed? I didn't see any in the attached report file. If you have already installed the hardware device(s), what model is it? Does it show up in Windows Device Manager with an "X" or an exclamation point over its icon?

There are a couple of different conditions I know of that cause a "Bad Image" error. One is that NIORBU.dll is corrupted (i.e. it is not a valid DLL). Another is that a side-by-side assembly (a DLL installed into the WinSxS directory) is missing. I think the latter is unlikely because direct dependencies of the 32-bit version of NIORBU.dll are not side-by-side assemblies. You can check for both of these conditions by opening nidevmon.exe in a free utility called Dependency Walker. If a required DLL is corrupt, Dependency Walker will display it with an icon of a red circle + exclamation point and will display "No DOS or PE signature found." If a required DLL is missing, Dependency Walker will display it with an icon of a yellow circle + question mark. (Note: doing File >> Save As... to save the entire Dependency Walker tree is more helpful than taking a screenshot, because it includes information that you would have to scroll to get to.)

It may also be worthwhile to try disabling the virus scanner, just to rule it out. However, if the virus scanner was causing an installation problem, you would have to repair the installation (or even uninstall and reinstall) with the virus scanner disabled.

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,865 Views)

Thanks Brad,

The problem was a corrupted niorbu.dll file.

I renamed it in the system32 directory, then did a repair on the NI-DAQmx.

All seems to be working now.

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,850 Views)