From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIMAX and LABVIEW does not find instrument using USB

Hi,

I have this monochromator that is connected using USB. I can detect the monochromator in windows 7 and the USB appears. Automatically the Labviewsoftware should detect it as well which it does not.

I have checked NIMAX and seems the USB connection does not appear there. I remember I could see my USB connections in NIMAX before I change my computer few month ago. 

Do I need to install any drivers for NIMAX to detect the USB? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,456 Views)

At a minimum, I believe you need to have DAQmx installed on your LabVIEW system to see USB devices.  Have you installed any LabVIEW drivers?  Not every USB device will show up in MAX (a trivial example is a USB key) -- does your Device have (or come with) a LabVIEW Driver?  How does the manufacturer "talk" to the Device, using proprietary software, using some form of VISA or Serial protocol?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,411 Views)

Hi Bob,

Im not sure if you need daqmx, i think that you need that only if the application is using any daqmx functions, im also not sure but it may come with NI VISA as part of it.  But i would suggest installing NI VISA and NI Serial.  Also install and verify the correct versions of the drivers for your version of labview.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,402 Views)

If talking over USB, even if it shows up as a COM port, you just need VISA.  DAQmx and NI Serial are just for NI products.  So first check to make sure you have VISA installed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,386 Views)