LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9871 cRIO RS485 Serial line break

Hi.

I am using a compact RIO to communicate with a datalogger over RS485. I am using NI9871 for serial communication to the data logger.

In one specific situation i need to set the RS485 Line in break state for 1.1 seconds.

This seems not to work when the NI9871 is configured in RS485 (2-wire auto) mode.

Exactly the same code have proven to work for the same setup, but with RS-422 instead of RS485, like now. The only difference in code is the intiialization of the port (2 wire auto now, 4-wire previously).

Going back to RS422 is not an option due to limited numbers of wires in the cabling between the two units.

I can not see the break state at all by connecting an oscilloscope to the RS485 line. Communication from the data logger are still coming at 20Hz when the break state was supposed to suspend it...

Could this be caused by a limitation in the NI9871? Isn't break supposed to be possible for both RS485 and RS422?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,235 Views)

Post a png of the code please, I'll check it for you and let know if I see anything.

Only thing that pops to mind is a missing termination character, usually a line feed constant for that sort of thing...

Use the rating system, otherwise its useless; and please don't forget to tip your waiters!
using LV 2010 SP 1, Windows 7