LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI myRIO Windows 10

I have recently been trying to use a myRIO with my windows 10 PC for a university project. I have the student/home version of LabVIEW 2015, and the 2015 myRIO toolkit installed. In the devices and printers page, it comes up as "Generic USB-EEM Network Adapter" and in properties it says it is the NI myRIO. When I connect it to power and USB I am prompted with the menu shown in section 2 of this link (http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/14603/en/) but clicking on the Launch the getting started Wizard, it immediately prompts me with "No NI myRIOs were found". Any help??

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,752 Views)

Hi PGoodhand,

Since this thread hasn't been active in a while, I would recommend posting your message in a new thread so that you can get more views and exposure. This will help your question get answered faster.

Good luck!

T. Le
Vision Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,740 Views)

I have the same problem

problema.png

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,561 Views)

I found a solution, it is posted here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/No-myRIO-detected/m-p/3575025

If you have any more issues, I recommend finding a more recent thread or making a new one.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,553 Views)

I did the steps in the link, but nothing work yet

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,550 Views)

OK, I'm going to try to walk you through this.  I've got a Windows 10 PC at home with LabVIEW 2016 and LabVIEW Real-Time installed, but no myRIO software.  So here are the steps I took (and am taking, since I haven't finished yet ...):

• Go to NI and download the NI LabVIEW 2016 myRIO Software Bundle.
  • Open it and run Setup.  In my case, I already have LabVIEW 2016, LabVIEW-RT, and VIPM installed, so (in principle) don't need to re-install them, but can only "turn off" VIPM.
  • Do the Install.  Sure enough, it "sees" my existing LabVIEW and LabVIEW-RT, so only installs the myRIO Toolkit.
  • Reboot, allow updates (there are none, but you might have one for VIPM) to happen.
  • Start LabVIEW 2016.  It should come up as "LabVIEW for myRIO".
  • In the Set Up and Explore menu, Launch the Getting Started Wizard.
  • Mine said "Found no myRIO".  So I plugged the myRIO into power and connected it to my PC with a USB cable (as illustrated).
  • It identified it as BS-myRIO-1900 (a name I gave it previously).
  • I clicked "Configure myRIO".  It immediately informed me that Chrome and Firefox can't be used with Silverlight, the software NI uses for Web Access.  So I'll save this, stop Chrome, and pick up again with IE (Edge also doesn't work ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,531 Views)

OK, I'm back with IE as my browser for the Forums.  When I opened LabVIEW and tried to Configure myRIO, I got a pop-up saying I needed to install Microsoft Silverlight, which I did, but still had the error.  Oops, I forgot to set IE as my default browser, which I now have done.  Let's see what happens:

• Aha!  While I had managed (about a year ago) to set up this myRIO with network access, somewhere along the line it appears that either Microsoft or NI has "improved" things to such an extent that connections are now either impossible or just difficult.
  • I was able to get into the myRIO configuration menu, but to do that I had to type in (manually) the IP address 172.22.11.2 to IE.  I got to the Configure Wireless, but it kept telling me my settings were wrong, or it couldn't see my device.
  • I may play around a bit more, but this seems to be a real problem ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,526 Views)

Sigh.  I've just spent about two hours on the phone with an Applications Engineer from NI trying to demonstrate and fix this issue.  NI appears to be "vaguely aware" that there is "some problems with myRIO and Windows 10", but it also seems to be the case that (a) many (all?) of the AEs run Windows 7, (b) few of them (at least those handling Support calls) work with myRIOs, (c) the internal NI documentation does not (yet) specifically address this issue (though, as I said, there is some vague awareness of it), and (d) my AE didn't know if a CAR (a Corrective Action Report) or a Workaround was available (but he'll try to find out).

We did try a few things.  There is, apparently, a new version of the NI System Configuration Tool, 16.0.1, which fixes some issues that MAX has (but, so far, not this one).  I did upgrade to that, but it didn't help.  We were able, using IE and the Web-Based System Configuration Tool to establish Wireless Connection with myRIO, but it wasn't easy, it wasn't intuitive, and it wasn't logical.  I'm going to try to reproduce the steps that seemed to work (if you try and it doesn't work for you, I probably left out a step, for which I apologize -- I'm going to try to give you the (il)logic that may lead you in the right direction to figure it out for yourself ...).

• Turn on your myRIO.  Plug a USB Cable from the myRIO into your PC.
  • Notice if you get a pop-up saying "I see a myRIO connect to this PC" -- that's a Good Sign, but we're going to ignore it for now (as it will only cause frustrations, trust me).
  • Start Internet Explorer (not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or any other Browser) and go to 172.22.11.2.  With luck, the Web-Based System Configuration application will start and identify your myRIO (it will probably call it myRIO-1900).
  • Look at the Home Page.  Notice the Firmware Version (I don't know what the current/latest should be, but mine says 3.0.0f0).  Note the Operating System (mine ends with 3.0.0f2).  
  • Click the third button on the left, Network Adapters.  You should see Ethernet Adapter usb0 (Primary) on top, with Wireless Adapter wlan0 below that.
  • Look at the Wireless Adapter window.  The second indicator should say "Country".  If it is set correctly, fine.  However, on mine, it was (I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but effectively) "Unknown".
  • So the first Catch 22 -- if you proceed to try to Configure or Connect to a Wireless Network, when you try to Save things, it will complain that the Country isn't set.  OK, so you set the Country and Save.  Now it complains that you don't have a valid IP.  Hmm, I'm trying to change something so I can set a Valid IP, but I can't proceed because I don't have a Valid IP?  There's a problem here ...
  • So if the Country is not set, on the indicator above, set Wireless Mode to Disabled, set Country to the correct value, and try to Save.  With luck, this will work.
  • Now go back and say Connect to Wireless Network.  In the Wireless Network indicator, click the Selector button and let it find your Network.  Click it to connect.  If it has Security settings (mine does), you will need to enter them (once -- it appears to remember it once correctly set).  Set Configure IPv4 Address to DHCP or Link Local.  Save.
  • Disconnect the USB cable and turn off IE.  Nice clean desktop, no?  Now plug the USB cable back in.  You should see a pop-up, myRIO USB Monitor.  Click on Configure myRIO.  This should launch the same Web Configuration Utility you were just using.  Note the IP Address -- with any luck, you should see two of them, the 172.22.11.2 address for the USB connection and a second IP for the Wireless network.
  • Click on the Network (third) button and look at the Wireless settings.  You should see the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS Server.  Hooray!  Everything is working (not!).
  • Glance at your myRIO and see if the third light (Wireless) is on and blue.  That's good.
  • Go ahead and close everything, back to the Desktop.  Start MAX.  Note the Version of MAX you are running (it shows at the bottom of the Splash Screen -- the latest, which I installed today, is 16.0.1).
  • Expland Devices and Interfaces.  You should see the myRIO, visible through the USB Port.
  • Expand Remote Systems.  You should see the myRIO.  Click it to populate the left pane.  On my Windows 10 PC, the Status under System Settings is "Inconsistent IP Settings" (this is bad).
  • Close MAX and disconnect the USB cable.
  • Reopen MAX.  There should be no myRIO under the My System Devices and Interfaces.
  • Click Remote Systems.  It should find the myRIO (through Wireless).  Click on it.  Note that it shows no IP Address under System Settings (I just noticed this for the first time!).  It still has a Status of "Inconsistent IP Settings".
  • At this point, you are stuck -- so near, yet so far.  What you'd like to do is to update the Software and Firmware of the myRIO to use it with MAX and with LabVIEW, but you can't.

I'll follow up on my request to NI, and as I learn more, I'll add to this Post.  I've impressed on my helpful AE that (a) the myRIO is a significant Product, particularly in the Academic Market, (b) the myRIO has been out for at least two years, (c) Windows 10 has been out for two years and is becoming the by-far-most-common OS installed on new PCs (it takes an effort to get a Windows 7 system), and (d) the latest LabVIEW 2016 is specifically Windows 10 compatible.  So such a flaw in using a "significant" NI Product (the myRIO) with the latest version of LabVIEW (LabVIEW 2016) running on the OS for which it was designed (Windows 10), particularly eight months after Software Release, is a Very Serious Problem.

Stay tuned.  As I learn things, I'll test them, and the moment there is Something That Works, I'll post it.

Bob Schor

Message 18 of 18
(2,515 Views)