LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI cRIO-9951 development kit

Hello Birapxi,

I am not to familiar with creating a custom board, but I will look into this for you and let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(1,559 Views)

Hi,

Does anyone have a PCB example for NI cRIO-9951?

for Altium, Cadence, Ultiboard... Any PCB software, it doesnt matter 🙂

Precisely, I am using Altium Designer to design the schematic and PCB,

and I was hoping to find on the CD Kit 1.5 an example... But nothing.

Mainly, the interest is to place correctly the connectors inside the module space:

• A  CompactRIO module circuit board is 0.062 in. thick and has outer dimensions of 2.889 in. × 2.600 inches. 
  • All CompactRIO module designs use the female, high-density 15-position DSUB connector.
  • The primary side of the printed circuit board (PCB) is the top side of the PCB where you place most of the components.
  • The maximum height on the primary side is 0.530 in. The maximum height on the secondary side is 0.104 in.
  • The maximum width for the I/O connector is 2.889 in.
  • The maximum connector height above the PCB is 0.530 in. and the maximum connector height below the PCB is 0.104 in.
  • The maximum pin length is 0.166 in. from the top of the PCB for through-hole parts.
  • The maximum backshell height above PCB is 0.670 in., and the maximum backshell height below PCB is 0.150 in.

Thanks in advance

Ghislain REMY
Associate Professor

IUT Cachan, France
http://www.iut-cachan.u-psud.fr
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(1,316 Views)

Please reference the following link for support on the NI-9951 module.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/8663

Thanks

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(1,304 Views)

Hi!

The scenario:

I'm currently working on a custom CompactRIO Module. The hardware is mostly done, I've installed CompactRIO MDK 1.0 and I'd like to configure my CompactRIO system and develop the driver VI for my module.

The steps needed for configuring the cRIO System before begining developing the driver VI are the following (as written in the MDK documentation):

1. Launch LabView and select FPGA device as execution target. The Embedded Project Manager window appears.

2. Select File-> New and create  a LabView Embedded Project (LEP) file.

3. ...

Used equipment:

- LabView 2011

- LabView FPGA and RealTime modules

- NIRIO 4.0 

- NI-CRIO9024 Controller with 8-slot Chassis

- CompactRIO MDK 1.0

The problem:

After launching LabView and selecting FPGA as a target (see attached figure), even when hitting the 'Go' button next to the slide-down menu the Embedded Project Manager window won't appear.

I also tried searching for it in other menus, with no luck.

Questions:

1. Where can I find the Embedded Project Manager?

2. Is it possible, that I can't find the Embedded Project Manager window because I have an old version MDK (December 2004 is written on the manual)?

3. How can I create an LEP file in that case?

4. Can I use (and if yes, how?) the 'Create instrument driver project' option? (see attached figure)

Waiting for replies,

Levi

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(1,249 Views)

Duplicate post, see new post here

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(1,235 Views)

This is an update to my problem.

I couldn't find the Embedded Project Manager, but I've managed to do the following steps:

1. I've selected FPGA as execution target, created an FPGA project.

2. LabView was able to detect the Chassis and a 9401 module plugged into it.

3. I've right-clicked the chassis, selected Add Target and Devices (see attached figure).

4. The Add Target and Devices on Chassis window appeared. I've selcted New Target or Device.

5. The New C Series Module window appeared.

This was a similar window as in my MDK (an old version MDK), but I couldn't select "generic" as Module Type.

Any suggestions on my problem?

Thanks,

Levi

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(1,228 Views)

Hi!

After some research I managed to create the connection between my custom cRIO module and LabView.

The complete solution (with LabView 2011):

- add line 'cRIO_FavoriteBrand=generic' to the LabView.INI file

- launch LabView

- creating an empty project and select FPGA as execution target, click GO

- select 'CompactRIO Reconfigurable Embedded System' as project type, click next

- the next step is the detection of the chassis/ modules, followed by the creation of the new FPGA project 

- adding the custom module: right-click on FPGA Target -> New -> C Series Modules -> New Target or Device -> C series Module -> OK

- Enter name, select as module type 'generic', enter location

Hope it will help someone someday. :smileylol:

Levi

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(1,216 Views)

When you change the value of the Pin, its interact directly with the electrical pin. so when developping a new card, do not forget to add electrical protection to your board... Damaging a back plane or a FPGA cost a lot ;-).

Benoit Séguin
Software Designer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(1,209 Views)

Hi!

I'm developing the driver for my custom cRIO module. The module has 4 analog input channels.

After analog-to-digital conversion I need to transmit the digital data via the cRIO bus.

I placed an FPGA I/O node on my block diagram (see the attached image), but I can only read if the pin's state is HIGH or LOW, not the value of the ADC. 

How can read the value of the conversion?

Thanks for the help,

Levi

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(1,205 Views)

It's impossible to help you on this without the comprete electrical diagram. The convertion is it continuous or trigerred? do you have a buffer on your custom board? do you have a PLD? only a trigger pin on your diagram mean nothing... you may need a loop with a clock... I mean You show nothing actually.

Benoit Séguin
Software Designer
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(1,200 Views)