LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Vision: Accepted video format/codec/size

Hi,

I have basic LabView knowledge and I'm planning to process video files in NI Vision (object tracking). Recorded files are mov. Now I have some questions about video files in NI Vision:

1. I have only seen older manuals (2010 and older), saying that NI Vision accept avi-files. I wonder if there's a version suitable for mov files now.
2. What kind of files does NI Vision accept? (avi 1.0, avi 2.0,...)?
3. Are there limitations concerning the codec? Is only one specific codec suitable for NI Vision? Or will my VI accept every codec that is installed on my computer?
4. Is there a size limit for the files I read (and write)?

System: Windows XP, File system: NTFS

Thanks!

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,170 Views)

Hi Jon,

have a look into this white paper, which gives you the answers to your questions and refers to the release of the LabVIEW Vision Development Module 2012 SP1:

AVI Codec Support with AVI2 in NI Vision Products

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14466/en/

I think the most interesting information for you is:

"Through AVI2, on Windows any codec that is compatible with Microsoft's Video Compression Manager is available to the user. This means that the codecs recognized by Windows are recognized by NI Vision products as well."

Best Regards,

JoLe

National Instruments

Applications Engineering

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,108 Views)

I've had really bad luck with the new AVI2 toolkit. It's limited to 2GB files - it throws a weird error when you get above that. See here for more info on the bug:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/reading-frames-in-avi-files/m-p/2501840/highlight/true#M762303

If you're having problems with the AVI2 toolkit, you can always use the older AVI tools. They're available in "vi.lib/vision/Avi1.llb". In general they're less buggy but maybe not as feature complete.

-Jody

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,026 Views)