cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA Driver Wizard - Problems installing driver

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have generated a driver with the NI VISA Driver Wizard für communication with a USB-HID device. Driver and LabVIEW Application work fine - on the development system (Windows 7 x64).

Now I want to move the compiled application to another PC, using the same OS (Windows 7 x64). I tried to install the generated driver by right clicking the inf file and choosing install. After that I will be asked if I want to install the driver, which I agree. The installation process runs, but at the end, the device is not visible in the device manager.

So I switched back to the development system and uninstall the actual driver. Now I did the same steps as above (right click inf -> install -> ...). Same problem, the device is not visible in the device manager.

Now I went back to the NI VISA Driver Wizard. With it, I am able to install the driver.

How could I install a generated inf on a system without NI VISA Driver Wizard?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,229 Views)

Hi Michael,

the inf file does not install the driver, but only the inforamtion from that file. This is why your device is not recognized after installing the inf file.

If you wish to install the driver and the inf file, which is equivalent to what the Driver Wizard is doing, you should create a batch file that installs both.

If you need some help creating the batch file, refer to the following link:

Creating a Batch File - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B2640E34C4654F7B86256D07006D843D?OpenDocument

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,200 Views)

Hello Melanie,

thank you for your reply. Which "modules", additional to the inf file have to be included in the batch file to install the driver?

Thanks a lot.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,197 Views)

Hi Michael,

you need to include also the distribution file the driver wizard created.

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,192 Views)

Hello Melanie,

thanks a lot. I am a bit confused.

The device I want to use is a USB-HID compliant device (as mentioned above with the wizard everything works fine. Only the switch to another computer does not work). By generating the driver with NI VISA Driver Wizard, I get the message:

"Your device complies with know device class, for which a driver is already likely installed on your system. Would you like to proceed installing a VISA Driver for this device?"

I choose YES and could give the driver a name, in my example "AVR_Temp_Sensor". In this dialog, the driver Wizard also gives the following information:

"If you are creating a distribution kit for your driver or application to be installed on other computers, read the instructions that are included in the header of the generated INF file."

After clicking yes, the INF files for XP and Win 7/8 will be generated, nothing more.

If I look inside the INF, as mentioned above, the following information could be found:

"Windows Vista/7 Installation:
To apply the contents of this file to a system's settings, right-click  this file and choose "Install". If the device was plugged in before this  file is installed, the device will need to be removed from the "Unknown  Devices" class in the Windows Device Manager."

I did it the way mentioned in the INF, with no effect.

What is exactly the distribution file you mentioned?

Thank you for your help.

Best  regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,184 Views)

Hi Michael,

when you create the driver with the wizard, how many and what files are created?

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,170 Views)

Hello Melanie,

tow INF files are created, one for Win XP and one for Vista/7/8.

I attached the two files.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,165 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaGue_01

Hi Michael,

ok, I thought there should be generated one or more other files that can be transfered to another machine and that has to be installed with the inf file.

I did some research and found out some things about the problem. Please go through the links below and see if they solve your problem:

Why is NI-VISA Unable to Control my USB Device? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/273BB58D3B52CE6886256F3B00714D03?OpenDocument

USB Instrument Control Tutorial - National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en/

Why Won't Windows Install the VISA Driver For My USB Device? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3C335141B64C038886257141000036F2?OpenDocument

Regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,159 Views)

Hello Melaniee,

the solution is very easy. A HID compliant device gets two entries in the device manager. By installing the driver over the device manager, you have to choose the "USB Input Device" not the "HID compliant device" for updating the driver.

Now everything works.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,140 Views)