LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-Update after Installing LV2012 asks for 12,5GB of updates?!!!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

got my yearly NI Installation package these days and installed the SW of my DevSuite Ds2 Test Edn.

This installed LabVIEW & Teststand and some Toolkits of 2012. After Newstart the NI Update Service checked for Updates and now wants to download 12.5 GB of data, amoung is > 550MB of patches etc.

JUST AFTER INSTALLATION OF FRESH SOURCE DVDs?

For all the drivers I'll try to install from the driver DVDs first and run Update Service again.

IN ANY CASE: Those amounts of downloads will block even a DSL line for days, not to ask for having to run my PC overnight in this period as well!

Quite disappointed!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,465 Views)

As i recall, the Update Service tells you, which products it is going to download and you can select, if you want to actually download those at all.

Can you check, which software is listed there? Does that only refer to software you installed?

One note:

I think that the DVD has e.g. NI Switch Executive 3.5. Short after the DVD was published, NISE 3.6 was released. So i can imagine that NISE 3.6 is one of those software packages....

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,455 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:
... Can you check, which software is listed there? Does that only refer to software you installed?...

Of course. It counts 14 updates, of which are 3 for 2012 products only (LV2012 f1 patch, simulytion interface toolkit, system ID toolkit), 12 driver sets (NI-488, NI-845, DAQmx, DCPower, DMM, FGEN, HSDIO, RFSA, RFSG, Scope, Serial and SWITCH)

I am not sure when I installed LV2011 and when I did the last update, but when NI sends YEARLY DVDs only then the sum of downloads should be much less as it is here. When a DSL connection needs days, than there's something wrong IMHO...

Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,450 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LuI

Uwe,

i expect the number of packages (so the size also) to reduce once you installed the driver DVD.

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,437 Views)

Update Service displays patches, but also upgrades and service packs for any software you already have installed. The upgrades and service packs, which indeed are usually pretty large, also ship on our Developer Suite, Device Drivers, and any DVDs that come with new hardware. Update Service is just another delivery tool you can choose to get your software updates. Obviously, I do recommend installing the patches, which are typically small. Each patch's update description links to a web article with more information about the patch, so you can determine which patches apply to how you're using the software and only install what you need. We by no means want to block your DSL, just offer you another way to receive the upgrades and patches you're entitled to.

Thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to let me know if you have any additional comments or suggestions for NI Update Service.

LaRisa Mohr
Staff Product Support Engineer - NI Update Service
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,420 Views)

Norbert and LaRisa,

I have started setup.exe on the driver DVD. Took literally hours - our IT does not allow to disable virus protection.

Now the list is much smaller.

(Once upon a time the installer used to ask for the driver CD and continued installation there...)

Still there are ~500MB of patches (LV2012f1, Simulation interface toolkit, System ID toolkit) available for download and some updates for 2011 SW.

I'll have a look on the media of the develloper suite if I find those updates and patches there.

At least I feel like the updater should be aware or find out what media are available and what could be started locally. I think of packet sources for linux updates - one can specify local media and sources at wish.

Me as well as our IT guys would prefer to install those large updates from local media.

Still not happy with that situation...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,411 Views)