LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Update Service a Virus?

Recently, Norton (Symantec) 360 Premier decided that most installation packages for LabVIEW, the NI Updater and other NI products are high risk viruses.

This is clearly not true.

Can the NI engineers contact Symantec and ask them to update their definitions?

There are far too many files to do the 'exclude' one by one.

Do you NI software engineers need more screen shots from me for evidence?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,242 Views)

Those have been getting flagged for years now.  It doesn't appear Symantec has any interest in updating their defintiions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,223 Views)

So, should LabVIEW developers counsel all of their customers to never use Norton/Symantec products on their PCs?

It seems to me that there is a legal cause for National Instruments here should they wish to pursue...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,814 Views)

@Saturn233207 wrote:

So, should LabVIEW developers counsel all of their customers to never use Norton/Symantec products on their PCs?

I've been doing that for years already.

One more joke.  I also consider the NI Update Service a virus anyway.

But seriously I can see why the NI Update Service could be flagged as a virus.  It has the potential for updating drivers in your PC semi-automatically.  That could be a big security risk.

Does the system not function properly after these programs are quarantined?  By that I mean can you live without the NI Update Service and any others?  It isn't a solution by any means but I can see why it might be low priority to fix if nothing of importance is broken.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,804 Views)

Norton's software mistakes things for virus' all the time. Symantec will probably fix it if NI goes to them, I've seen it happen before with other programs made by much smaller companies than NI.  Symantec fixed the problem pretty quickly.

Granted, I'm sure correcting the issue for NI's installers is a much larger task.

Edit: A Typo.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,794 Views)

Another class of items flagged as Heuristic Viruses are the Windows installers I've created for LabVIEW run time programs.

So Hooovahh, no, I cannot live with this and it looks like I must terminate my relationship with Norton/Symantec.

Unfortunately, a number of clients are coporations whose IT departments have selected Norton/Symantec...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,788 Views)

Hi all,

I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention, please continue to report these type of issues to us. We have submitted these false positive flags to Symantic, and have asked them to include it to their whitelist process.

I also want to ensure you that Update Service is not a virus tool. It will only install updates on your machine if you choose to. Update Service will not install anything on any system automatically.

Edna

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,697 Views)

Edna:

Answered your private message.

Attached please find the full detections list as a text file.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,638 Views)

That is great. Thank you for your response.

Edna

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,572 Views)

I'm sorry for the tardy response ...  My home PCs (I'm at work, now, and cannot verify the details) all run Norton 360 Premier Edition, all run Windows 7 Professional, X64, and all have multiple versions of 32-bit LabVIEW (including 2012, 2013, and 2014) installed.  All run NI Update, in fact, just "updated" NI Update to NI Update 15.  I've never seen a problem with Norton considering the Update Service a virus.

Are there settings for Norton you would like me to check?  I don't recall having done anything "special" to include/exclude NI, but these machines were set up several years ago and I may have forgotten a detail ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,523 Views)