From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-USB-6001 measure nosie level

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a NI-USB-6001 to measure some voltages @ 5V level.

I am trying to use one input to measure the noise level on top of a 5V signal. The ripple is roughly 200mV p-p (when looking at a scope in AC coupling mode). I can't find a suitable setting in the DAQmx VI to set it to measure with a higher resolution (4.9V-5.1V)

to be able to see this ripple.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,307 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hasse

You might try setting up the AI line as a differential input (AI0/AI4).  Feed your signal input AI0 and ground your signal to a DGND.  Then feed the +5V on the USB-6001 to AI4.

Randall Pursley
Message 2 of 6
(3,300 Views)

A better method might be to DC decouple the noise by using a DC Block capacitor with good RF response from near DC to some freq desired. With just the AC component on the line, you can go to much better resolution than you can at the range setting for 5VDC.

Message 3 of 6
(3,292 Views)

Depends on what the noise is.  It might at least partially get filtered out with the addition of the capacitor.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,276 Views)

That is true depending on the value and type of capaciter is selected. Higher c value leads to lower reactance at lower frequency. Lower freq cutoff being the bigger problem. Sometimes high and low value are sued together to get pass at low and high freqs like with bypass caps on digital chips. None the less, it works and works well. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,243 Views)

It really depends on the purpose of the exercise.  Since analysis seems to the be goal, I don't think you would want to change it by filtering at all.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,205 Views)