From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI Communcation problem

Solved!
Go to solution

hi,

i am using NI PXI-1042Q chassis with NI PXI-8196 Embedded Controller, i couldn't able to communicate with my NI PXI PCB's(NI PXI-5124,NI PXI-4472 etc)

currently, i have installed NI LabVIEW 2010,NI MAX 4.3 and WINDOWS XP OS

Regards

Raj Kumar S

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,063 Views)

Could you clarify something for me?  Are you running Windows XP (and, presumably, LabVIEW) on the PXI 8196 Controller directly?  My experience with the PXI as a peripheral is to have the Controller loaded with LabVIEW RT and a LabVIEW RT OS, with a PC running Windows (7 or 10) running LabVIEW and MAX.  On the PC's MAX, the PXI chassis and controller show up under Remote Systems.

It is not clear to me why one would give up the advantages of the Real-Time capabilities of the PXI platform by making its controller run Windows instead of LabVIEW RT OS.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,041 Views)

it is a Labview RT OS with Running on Windows XP operating system,it's bit older version so they are running it on WIN XP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,031 Views)

@rajkumar5 wrote:

it is a Labview RT OS with Running on Windows XP operating system,it's bit older version so they are running it on WIN XP

If I understand your response correctly, you are (a) running Windows XP on your PXI Controller, (b) you have LabVIEW 2010 installed on the Windows XP system running on the PXI, (c) you have installed (on the XP/PXI/LabVIEW 2010 system) the LabVIEW RT Module, and (d) you do not have another computer, whether a PC or another PXI, configured to run a Real-Time OS, such as PharLap.

If all of these assumptions are correct (or "mostly" correct), then I think that you do not have a working LabVIEW RT configuration.  LabVIEW Real-Time code is developed on a conventional Windows machine running LabVIEW, but is deployed (and executed) on a separate processor running a Real-Time OS.  Searching for LabVIEW Real-Time on the Web can take you here, where this is discussed in more detail.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,022 Views)

all the options are correct expect (d), i am not using any Labview RT OS.

it is running on WIN XP

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rajkumar5

Did you try to get off and get in back PXI cards ?

Another tip :

The NI PXI-8196 RT is an RT controller where you can download and excute your RealTime application. In other words you have to developp your application in a Windows OS and download over Ethernet your application into 8196.

You have to see your PXI as a big cRIO with PXI cards !

You can dual bot your PXI (Windows or RealTimeOS). This link could help you to understand your hard specifications :

http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/2005_5483_501_101.pdf

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,996 Views)