LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI OPC and Labview 7.1

I just bought a license for NI OPC and am having troubles using it with LabVIEW 7.1 and DSC.  I can not connect to the NI OPC server.  I tried using server explorer and got the following error when it tried to connect:  Class is not licensed for use Status Code: 0x80040112. 

BTW: I activated NI OPC but each driver still says demo under in the about/version window however there is no longer the 2 hour limit.  I had no probelms using the demo NI OPC server until I activated it.

Thanks,

AJL
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,294 Views)
Hi AJL,

You can verify that NI OPC Servers are activated by checking NI License Manager (Start » Programs » National Instruments » NI License Manager).  My drivers also are listed as demo versions, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. 

Unfortunately, NI OPC Servers can only be used with LabVIEW 8.5.  I apologize for the confusion if you heard otherwise. 
Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,050 Views)
Yes NI OPC is activated in NI License Manager.  If NI OPC only works with LV8.5 why does it work with LV7.1 in demo mode?  I have used the demo mode with LV7.1 already but once I activated it, my program can no longer connect to the NI OPC server.  What does the activation change?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,001 Views)

Hi AJL,

The evaluation version of NI OPC Servers is the same as the activated software.  What are the names of the servers you were connected to and are currently trying to use?  NI OPC Servers, which you recently purchased, appears as National Instruments.NIOPCServers.  You may also see National Instruments.OPCDemo listed.  Although expanding that shows "NI OPC Demo Server," it is not related to NI OPC Servers.  OPC Demo Server ships with LabVIEW and is used with the DataSocket example programs.  OPC Demo Server, unlike NI OPC Servers, can be used with LabVIEW 7.1. 

Hopefully this helps clarify things a little. 

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,833 Views)
I am trying to connect to National Instruments.NIOPCServers.  I can connect to the demo server.  Regardless of the labview version, why can't I access the NI OPC server in Server explorer?  Is their a newer version of Server Explorer that has to be used to talk to NI OPC?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,775 Views)

Hi AJL,

NI OPC Servers are not compatible with Server Explorer.  They will only accept client connections from LabVIEW 8.5.

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,487 Views)
I tried to connect to NI OPC server using Matlab OPC toolbox.When i click connect in OPC toolbox in Matlab I've got the following error when it tried to connect:  Class is not licensed for use
My question is about the compatibility between Matlab OPC toolbox and National Instruments.NIOPCServers 
Thanks,
Stephen82
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,327 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,309 Views)