cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I recently upgraded to LV2016 and now I have issues when trying to contact remote PXI targets using MAX. The PXI targets are listed in "Remote Systems" in the navigation window of MAX, but when I click on the down arrow to expand them, the usual array of options (Devices and Interfaces, Software, etc) does not appear. Coinciding with upgrading to LV2016 on the developmental computer, I need to install LV2016 RT on these devices. Normally this is done by clicking "Software" and then "Add/Remove Software", but that's not an option.

Possibly coincidentally, when I click on the device, I get the normal System Settings/Network Settings/Time Settings tabs, but under System Settings, the status of the device is "Inconsistent IP Settings". At first I believed that was the real problem, but when I use another lab computer running LV2013 and MAX 5.6, I get no such notification for "Inconsistent Settings". Additionally, I can right-click the Remote System I'm interested in and click "Web Configuration" which brings up a browser window similar to MAX, but which lists the Status of the device as "Running", not "Inconsistent IP Settings". Unfortunately, the web configuration window does not allow for software installation, so I'm still stuck.

I posted about this in the PXI forum, but given the evidence presented, I really don't think it's the PXI system giving me trouble - it's MAX 16.0. Unfortunately, the computer running MAX 5.6 doesn't have the appropriate version of LabVIEW on it, and as soon as I would try to upgrade to LV2016 on that computer, it will install the new version of MAX and will *likely* leave me with the same issues (I haven't actually tried this yet, but perhaps that is the next step). Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

Zack

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,381 Views)

Thanks for the "prompt".  I'm also running LabVIEW 2016 and have been meaning to "upgrade" my PXI from 2015 to 2016, but it hadn't yet been done.  I'll get started on this and, I hope, will report "Success" tomorrow ...

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 14
(4,340 Views)

Aha, already a mystery.  The PXI Controller identified itself as running LVRT 2015.  MAX can "see" it, and reports lots of 15.0.0 software, but I don't see where/how to install new software.  However, my "ride home" (a.k.a. my much better half) just called, I need to run, but I'll resume tomorrow.

BS 

Message 3 of 14
(4,337 Views)

OK, Bob, thanks. The way to install software is to click the "expand" down arrow next to your PXI controller in the NI-MAX browser. There should be a "Software" item that you can click which will bring up an option to install/remove software. For me, though, the "expand" arrow just disappears when I click it and no items appear under the controller. I'll be interested to see what happens with yours.

Zack

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,333 Views)

Zack,

My brain must have been fried -- I forgot about right-clicking to bring up the Install Software stuff (or maybe I was just tired and hungry).  Anyway, I just remoted in to my Desktop at work, there was MAX, and there was all the LabVIEW 2016 software just waiting to be installed on my PXI controller.  I just turned it loose, came back here, and when I last "peeked", it said "Checking target and rebooting into Install mode".  Let's wait a few minutes ...  Oops, "Timed out waiting for target to restart".  

Well, if I restart MAX on my remote Desktop, it still shows "Disconnected".  I guess I'll have to see what the Display says (and try to restart it manually).  Mañana.

Bob Schor

Message 5 of 14
(4,327 Views)

Something may have gone wrong with the upgrade to 16.0.  I have also had the problem of having my firewall block some info from the target but not all the info.  May want to check firewall settings.  If it comes to it, you can wireshark the line to see if your computer is blocking any communiques.

Can you force safemode on the target and try that?

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
Message 6 of 14
(4,302 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author atomtrainers
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up upgrading the other real computer to LV2016, and when I opened MAX on that computer, everything worked properly. No inconsistent IP settings errors, and software was able to install properly. I can still access the PXI controller and FPGA card on the chassis in projects and VIs on the "problem" computer, so I think all is fine now. I'll check out the firewall settings and maybe go for a complete LV2016 reinstall on the problem computer to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks again
Zack
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,287 Views)

Zack,

Glad it worked for you.  I've also just rebooted my PXI into LabVIEW RT 16.0, after a little bit of work.

I'm using a slightly-older (3-5 years?) PXI-8108 controller.  When I came in today and rebooted it, it came back in 2015 mode.  I booted it into RT Safe Mode, opened MAX, found that no software had been installed (probably because it was not in Safe Mode, duh!).  So I did a re-install, watched it all appear to be downloaded, did the reboot, saw it was still in Safe Mode, re-entered the BIOS to set it to RT Mode, rebooted, and here I am!  Two success Stories!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,276 Views)

Hi, I also have the same issue with the MAX showing 'inconsistent ip settings' but web configuration shows the status as 'Running'. Were you able to sort out the issue and get the actual cause. I am kind of held up with mine.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,776 Views)

It's not the best idea to add on to an old post as messages can get lost in time.  Also, we are going to need some more info in order to help you.  What controller are you using?  WHat software set are you using?

Just off the back, I'd make sure that your System Configuration is the most recent as there was an issue with inconsistent ip setting with Sys Config 16.0 that 16.0.1 fixed.  I'd make sure that is up to date and then if that doesn't work create a new post that lets us know the specifics of the situation!

Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,756 Views)