Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Device Drivers Aug 2015

I'm holding.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(1,495 Views)

I have them downloaded but didn't try combining them yet.  Reading the instructions I can see where the confusion might come from

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-device-drivers-august-2015/5568/en/

1. Download the Part 1 (DCD-Aug15-1_downloader.exe), Part 2 (DCD-Aug15-2_downloader.exe), and Part 3 (DCD-Aug15-3_downloader.exe). These are smaller helper files that manage the download of the larger driver. 
  2. When prompted, save these files to a temporary location.
  3. Launch the three files to download the driver. If you receive a security warning, click Run to continue.
  4. When prompted, save the driver software installer files to a temporary folder. The download of the driver software should now start through the National Instruments Downloader.
  5. After downloading completes, open DCD_Aug15_1.exe to launch the first self-extracting executable. You must open DCD_Aug15_1.exe first.
  6. Select the file path to which you want to extract the driver files and click OK. . The default location is C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI Device Drivers\Aug15.
    The self-extracting exe will automatically be deleted from your hard drive upon completion.
  7. Repeat steps 5-6 for DCD_Aug15_2.exe and DCD_Aug15_3.exe. The NI Device Drivers installer will run after you run DCD_Aug15_3.exe.
    After installation, you may delete the driver installation files to recover space on your hard drive. 

So to me this sounds like you should extract all 3 the the same folder "C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI Device Drivers\Aug15".  Then you'll have all the media extracted in one place, and I would expect running the setup would take care of finding all the parts.  This was the steps I had done (and complained about) 6 months ago.  I hate to admit it but I kinda like the Web install for Feb 2015.  I haven't seen one for Aug 2015 yet, but it allowed me to pick the things I wanted to download, like LabVIEW, device drivers, FPGA, Real-Time, and then I had all of it in one place and running one setup would find all the components needed.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(1,417 Views)
Thanks for the info. I have completed these steps many times. However during the install I'm asked to locate additional media. No matter where I point it, it is unable to continue the install.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(1,402 Views)

I think you may be missing the point.  If you look at a multi-DVD NI Distribution Kit, each DVD contains a self-contained set of folders for Distributions.  When you start the Install from Setup (which is only on the first DVD), you "choose" everything you need, and then off it goes, looking for the files to install in a folder called Distributions.  If it is part of a multi-DVD set, and you need to install something from another DVD, you'll get the "Insert Medium" message.

LabVIEW 2015 can be obtained on a single (large) USB Flash Drive.  All of the folders for all of the Products and all of the Device Driver DVDs are contained on this one "device", so once you have all the required folders in the single Distributions folder, there are no requests to Insert Medium.

If, however, you download 3 DVD images and extract them to three different sets of folders, you will be in exactly the predicament you seem to be having.  What I suspect you have are three disk images in three Windows File Folders.  Had you been able to extract them to disks, when you got the "Insert Medium" message, you could pop out Disk 1 and put in Disk 2, but if they are separate folders on your hard drive, that's hard to do.

Two solutions (one you've already gotten, but I suspect you didn't exactly follow):

1. Extract each of the three DVD images to the same folder.  With luck, you'll end up with a single Distributions folder that has the contents from all three disk images.
  2. If you already have 3 DVD folders on your hard drive, burn each to a different DVD.  Insert DVD 1 and let its AutoRun feature start the installation process.  When it asks for new medium, pop out the DVD and put the next one in.

One (or both) of these suggestions should work.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(1,344 Views)

I recently posted a thread where I found an issue and describe how to fix it.  Basically the installer thinks there are two volumes and some installers are on the second volume.  By editing or replacing a few text files you can convince the installer that all subinstallers are on the same volume.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Device-Drivers-August-2015-Issue-Fixed/td-p/3206936

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(1,247 Views)