From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx crash on Max "add task" or LV "DAQ Assist"... LVBroker?

Sorry for the slight confusion, but I'm trying to diagnose by proxy.  Got a student in class with LV 2014 installed, who installed NI-DAQmx (I believe 16.1; he said "latest version").  Windows 7 SP1; sorry the data is a little slim but I didn't have much time to diagnose today.

Any time he drops a "DAQ Assist" Vi onto his block diagram, LabVIEW crashes pretty instantly; in the "details" of the crash I believe it mentioned "NiMAXLVBroker" (something like that--did not directly mention LVBroker.dll or any dll).  We can get the same crash to happen by opening up Max (not sure of version right now; didn't have time to write everything during class) and trying "Add task".

The DAQ (a USB-6251) does show up in Max, and "self-test" works fine.  It does NOT pull up the "NI Device Monitor Device Detected" dialog when plugging it in.

We did try "add/remove programs-> repair installation", recommended several times on forums, and he reported no luck from that.

Any ideas?  I need a fix relatively fast, as he'll start being affected in class pretty quickly.  I'm preparing a secondary laptop, but if all the students in the next semester with the same issued computer have the same problem, it'll be pretty tricky to deal with.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,562 Views)

As you know, LabVIEW is "version-specific", and works best when all the software is consistently in a single version.  Device drivers are a little different -- they are often at least partly backward compatible, so NI DAQmx 2016 might work with LabVIEW 2014.

Do you have the 2014 Academic Kit?  If so, I might advise removing any LabVIEW 2016 software identified in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, National Instruments Software.  I think DAQmx is on one of the 3 or 4 DVDs that constitute the LabVIEW installation disks.  [Oh, I might be able to look it up ... Yes, DAQmx is on Disk 3 of the Fall 2014 disk set].  Install 2014 DAQmx, and use the August 2014 Device Drivers disk to install the Device Drivers (if you've already installed the 2016 drivers, it is probably OK ...).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,537 Views)