LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9862 XNET CAN communication

Hi,

I have a 1-port High speed NI XNET CAN C series module NI 9862 with a software selectable termination CAN cable. I have my external power supply connected. I also created an XNET data base but I could not get the 9862 module to communicate. I checked the device in MAX and it passed self test but there is no activity when I connect it to my CAN hardware. The bus monitor doesn't show any communication. I wrote a simple vi and enabled termination but there is still no activity. I've attached a screenshot of my vi. Does any one understand how to fix this?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,925 Views)

Are you getting any traffic?  In MAX I believe you right click the XNET device and choose Bus Monitor, this will show the raw frames from the CAN device. If there is nothing you have no hopes of reading the channel information.  

Also check your wiring (as I'm sure you have) and baud rate settings.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,920 Views)

No I'm not getting any traffic on the bus monitor in MAX. I also checked the wiring and baud rate setting. That is why I posted this here on the forum for help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,916 Views)

@SolPS wrote:

No I'm not getting any traffic on the bus monitor in MAX. I also checked the wiring and baud rate setting. That is why I posted this here on the forum for help.

Thanks

If your wiring is right, and the settings are right, and the 9862 is not suspected to be broken (new item) then I would say your device is not sending CAN messages periodically.  Have you talked to this device using a different CAN device to confirm it is working as expected?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,911 Views)

Have you powered the CAN port? This card need external power in the D-SUB interface.

What chassic have you plugged this module in?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,910 Views)

I have talked to the can device with a different hardware and software.  I purchased the 9862 so I can create CAN applications in labview. At the moment, my 9862 module is not talking.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,902 Views)

Yes the CAN port is powered with an external power supply set at 12volts. The Chassis is the NI cDAQ-9171.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,900 Views)

One thing you could try is hook up the program that does communicate and the 9862.  Then use the bus monitor in MAX to see if you can see any messages between the unit and the program that is working correctly.

Do you happen to have (2) 9862's?  If you do you can use example programs to send messages between them to see if they work.  You might also be able to do a self test on the module in MAX.

Also just to triple check you have:

Pin 2  CAN L

Pin 7  CAN H

Pin 6  V-

Pin 9  V+

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,881 Views)

Hi Bryan,

I thought pin6 was optional CAN ground. The wiring diagram on the manual has V+ as pin 9 and V- as pin 3 or has it been changed? I have only one 9862 module.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,873 Views)

I double checked the harness I made and you are correct with pin 9 and pin 3.  But looking at the manual (again) it looks like pin 3 and pin 6 are connected internally (page 4 and 5).

So your best bet might be to try and see if the bus monitor can pickup any messages on the bus while using your other program that works.  Unless an engineer stops by with other tips.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,870 Views)