From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9481

I am working on a new experimental set up for my thesis and I want to
control the whole process using LabView 8.

The set up has two chambers each one connected to a capacitance manometer and, 4
solenoid valves (not proportional, only ON/OFF) to control the flow.

My goal is to open the valves when the pressure reaches a certain value
in each chamber using LabView. For this task I purchased the cRIO-9481 with USB-9162
interface.

For the capacitance manometers I have ordered a Power Supply with an Rs-232
interface. I have not received yet the manometers but I am trying to build VI by
comparing two numbers (one set-up by me through a numeric control and the other is the
iteration count in a while loop). When the two numbers match I want to trigger one relay
on the NI-9481.

I don't know how ot integrate the NI-9481 in the VI. Any Suggestions ?

Regards,
George.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,540 Views)
Hello George,

Your application sounds very interesting!  I actually worked on a project a few years back developing a vacuum chamber control system using LabVIEW and SCXI, so I know where you're coming from.

The DAQmx driver makes controlling the relays on the USB-9481 very easy.  You can use the DAQmx shipping examples for digital I/O in LabVIEW as a guide for how to do this.  I would suggest looking at either of the examples Write Dig Port or Write Dig Chan.  These can be found by going to Help >> Find Examples and then navigating to Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Digital Generation.  This will provide the basic functionality for switching the relays. 

In terms of your control algorithm, you can use the functions in the Programming >> Comparison palette to implement the logic for decision-making. 

Hopefully this information will help you to get started with your application.

Best regards, 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,526 Views)
Thanks Jarrod,

It is an interesting and ... challenging project for me, as I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical one. I'll try what you have suggested and I'll keep you posted.

All the best,
George.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,518 Views)

I must make a similar thing with LabView 8.2 !

Open 2 valves, make a vacuum in a chambers, recieve the data vacuum with manometer close one valve when I have the vacuum I want and open/close others valves to inject a drug.

The only difference is that I will use a NI cDAQ-9174. 

gcf, I know it was a long time ago now but was the informations from Jarrod B. enough for you to making something like that ?

Even for a beginer like me ? (I am probably better in biochemistry than programmation as an Engineer in Biochemistry)

Could I have a look at your work if you still have it ? It could help me to understand quickly.

Thanks for your answer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,107 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,104 Views)

Not really, I just found someone who made a similar thing with more research because I did not have any answers to my question for the moment (and it is not a problem, I can wait, I just do not like waiting without doing something)

As I cannot send a message to gcf, I try to let a comment here with the hope that he will see it easly.

I continue my research so if I ask another question, be ready to say "duplicate" 😉

Vanrob

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,096 Views)
Of course it's a duplicate of your original post and you just have to show a little patience. This is not only a duplcate, but a very old thread and you are un likely to get a response from someone that has not posted in over 4 years - or did you not check that?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,086 Views)

Of course I check that, "I know it was a long time ago" - or did you not read that ? 

But as we say "Which tries nothing, has nothing"

He could have the same e-mail address and receive e-mails if a response is posted.

But anyway, our discussion is meaningless. Bye

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,078 Views)