LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9216 can only use FPGA mode. why?

Why do NI9216 only suports FPGA mode and not scan mode?

This seams strange to me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,624 Views)

Hi Johan,

this module is also supported by DAQmx in cDAQ chassis…

I couldn't find any mention of being not supported by ScanEngine, but I guess it's for the same reason other modules aren't supported by ScanEngine (like NI9853-CAN): maybe NI wanted to keep the ScanEngine "small" and "manageable". Maybe someone from NI might give a better explanation!?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,590 Views)

The following compatibility chart shows that NI 9216 module is supported only by cRIO FPGA, besides cDAQ. It is not supported in cRIO Scan mode.

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/8136/en/#toc2

Thanks,

Arev

CTO | RAFA Solutions

Certified-LabVIEW-Embedded-Systems-Developer_rgb.jpgCertified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpg

Message 3 of 8
(4,578 Views)

I asked about this here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/product-pulse/blog/2015/04/15/high-density-rtd-measurements-wi...

And in a reply there, it was mentioned that NI is planning to support scan mode with the March 2016 release of the CompactRIO device drivers.

My guess is the hardware team was working faster than the software team and they just wanted it out on the market before scan mode was supported.

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.13.36 PM.png

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Message 4 of 8
(4,551 Views)

To bad I have to deliver next week. 😞

Thank you very much for the information it seams like a reasonable exlplanation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,517 Views)

Thank you for the link since it will help in the future. Even though it does not explain why as the post below.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,514 Views)

Depending on the long-term need you could use hybrid mode for this module.

Write your own scan-engine like interface with variables and at least when this is released the software changes will be very small.

Obviously this depends on how comfortable you are with this though (if you have to delver tomorrow!)

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,493 Views)

Well it's next week wensday so thats 5 days and if I push 14h a day that would be in time no problem. 😉

Kidding aside I think it's the way I have to go. How hard can it be to use som DMA and just push data betwen the FPGA and the RT.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,483 Views)