cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 5772 acceptible external sample clock

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello support forum,

Is it possible to use the NI 5772 adapter module with an external sample clock that does not have a constant frequency (it is still within the 400-800MHz range though), and is not always on? SL1310V1-10048-Manual (pg7).jpg

An illustration of the clock signal may be more useful. Here is a link to a PDF containing a description of the instrument that is generating the clock signal. The plot of the clock signal is shown on page 7, it is the purple waveform (refered to as '(3) DAQ k-clock signals' in the text below the figures).

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorcat/22700/SL1310V1-10048-Manual.pdf

I've attached a screenshot of page 7 to this post in case the PDF is inconvienent.

Page 7 contains two figures. The top figure illustrates what I mean when I say the clock is not 'always on'.

The clock signal is supposed to be close to 500MHz, but it is not necessarily always that frequency. The frequency is dependent on the device. The device is a swept source laser. Each 'sweep' may result in a slightly different clock frequency, even within one sweep.

I can provide a lot more detail on my application if required.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,503 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author michaeljoseph

The CLIP that we ship with the 5772 requires a persistent clock that maintains relatively stable frequency. If you need to use a 5772 with a variable frequency clock that is not persistent then you will need a custom CLIP. Depending on your application requirements this may or may not be possible. You will need to open a service request for more information.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,457 Views)

Thanks David. I will open a service request for more information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,441 Views)