LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRio vi working as standalone but not as subvi

Hi everyone,

I wrote the attached Step controller.vi that works on the MyRio when used by itself. Then, when I try to use it in the Main.vi, I got a broken arrow with the error "The current personality or target does not support this VI. Switch to another personality or change the current target." for every open.xnode in the Step controller.vi. Am I missing something?

There is another issue: I would like to run tracking.vi continuously and also step controller.vi in parallel, based on the data it gets from the tracking. Is there an easy and elegant way to do this?

Thanks,

Leonardo 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,590 Views)

Hi Leonardo,

Is there an easy and elegant way to do this?

Use a producer-consumer scheme - as is explained in the example projects coming with LabVIEW!

And please remove those Rube-Goldbergs in your "step controller"… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,575 Views)

The Rube-Goldberg is the result of adding bit over bit and never stopping to think about it. I will symplify it!

Can producer-consumer be done with global variables? I am asking because I do not need the queue but just the last value.

And still the bigger problem is the vi, not working as subvi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,561 Views)

Hi Leonardo,

use notifiers, when you are interested in the current values!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,551 Views)

Hi Leonardo

When you say that your vi do not work as a sub vi, on what target are your main VI running on? 

You haven't include your project file, so is it unclear were your main vi is running. 

Remember that special myRIO functions in a vi can only run on the myRIO hardware, not under My Computer.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,509 Views)

So that is the problem! My main vi is running on the computer because image processing is faster there. Is there a way to have one running on pc and the other on the myRIO? Or do I have to move the image processing vi on the myRIO giving up a bit of speed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,505 Views)

Hi Leonardo,

Is there a way to have one running on pc and the other on the myRIO?

LabVIEW comes with example VIs and example projects.

Those example projects (file menu -> "New…") explain how to run software on different targets and have communication between them!

So the answer is YES!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,502 Views)

Look into the examples on Network Streams.  They are easy to use and handle most of the TCP/IP for you.

Alternatively, you can make your own TCP messaging scheme (look at the STM library).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,497 Views)