LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Variable Editor export to csv?

Hi There,

Does anyone know how to export the MVE settings to a csv file? I am using DSC module 2015 and do not see a "save" "edit" or "export" option on the screen. I am able to change the parameters one by one and then they get saved after I hit "done" but for large applications I would like to export the file to a .txt or .csv like DSC 7.1 use to do to modify the file and import it back with all of the changes.

~storrers211

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,424 Views)

storres211, 

It looks like that functionality exists at the project level as outlined in the following KB:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-export-variables-from-multiple-variable-editor/td-p/1034052

TLDR is that if you right-click on the library in the project there are options for import and export to csv.

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,381 Views)
Thanks Tanner!,

I found it.

On another note, I have found manuals and tutorials on DSC for labview 7.1 but none on 8.0 or later that discuss the MVE , Shared variables , or creating security accounts. Any idea where I can find some examples on any of these items?

I am in the process of developing a Data Acquisition System that will be OPC server based and will require the DSV module to import 200+ channels. DSC 7 would have worked great with the tag engine but I need to figure out how to make it work with DSC 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,331 Views)

storres211,

Full disclosure: I'm relatively new to DSC myself, but I work with plenty of people that are more familiar with it. 

To make sure that I understand what you're trying to do, you would like examples on how to map a large number of tags from your OPC server to shared variables?

Tanner B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,309 Views)

Yes Tanner!,

My goal is to create 3 separate VIs (I'm calling them Test Editor, MAIN, and Data Viewer)

Test Editor: Creates new setup, imports and configures channels

MAIN: Runs file created in Test Editor and stored data and event files to a citadel database

Data Viewer: Reads citadel database file created in MAIN and plots historical data and exports reports to a csv file ( I'm probably going to use the report generator toolkit for this part)

Test Editor: will import shared variables from OPC based dataloggers and other PCs running a MAIN vi. I will then export the variables to a csv file ( thanks for showing me where to find this option) configure the Channel Name, deadband, alarms etc, import file back to Test Editor and save.

I also need to create user accounts (which I have found under the tools drop down menu) for client access to certain controls.

DSC for LV7.1 seemed to be more user friendly with its tag configuration editor, there are also a lot of manuals and tutorials on DSC 7 but I've found it hard to find examples for the new DSC version so any help would be grately appreciated.

I'm taking LV Core 3 course in Louseville CO next week so I'll be asking some of these questions there as well.

~sandro

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,289 Views)

For a moment I forgot I had the exclamation point in my name and thought you were just really pumped about this forum post.

We discussed what you're trying to do in our group today, and I've included our ideas and some helpful links here:

Test Editor: Creates new setup, imports and configures channels

There is a pallette that contains a good selection of VIs that are well-documented located on the Block Diagram at: Functions>>DSC Module>>Engine Control. There are VIs there for programmatically creating and configuring I/O servers as well as modifying and deploying SVEs.

MAIN: Runs file created in Test Editor and stored data and event files to a citadel database

On theVariables and I/O Servers pallette in the afore-mentioned location there is a VI that allows you to programmatically enable and configure logging.

Data Viewer: Reads citadel database file created in MAIN and plots historical data and exports reports to a csv file ( I'm probably going to use the report generator toolkit for this part)

I think that Report Generation would be a good start to creating the reports, and Functions>>DSC Module>>Historical provides the functions to actually read the data from the database.

Additionally, here are some helpful links that outline in more detail some of these processes:
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618J-01/lvdschelp/create_opc_clnt/

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618H-01/lvdscconcepts/citadel_hist_db/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6579/en/

I hope this helps you get started, and if you have any follow up questions or details that give you trouble you can post here or call 1-866-275-6964 and create a service request.

Tanner B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,262 Views)