From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Shared Variable Problems

Hi All, 

This is one of my first posts here, I'm having multiple problems with shared variables. 

The lab I work in uses has two main computers connected via ethernet. The first hosts many network shared variables that the second one records. I'm trying to create another shared variable on the first computer, then modify it by the second computer. The problem is, I can no longer seem to modify any network shared variable on the second computer.

1) Right clicking on a shared variable reveals that "select variable" is grayed out.

2) It is possible to place a new shared variable by right clicking empty space on the block diagram and navigating to one through the data and communications section. However, double clicking on it's symbol in the block diagram does not bring up the menu to select which particular shared variable is to be referneced. 

3) I can create a new shared variable in the project explorer, but when I try to drag it to the block diagram, my cursor changings to a black circle with a line through it and the shared variable does not appear.

I'll note at-least the vast majority of shared variables created by a pervious graduate students are aliased on the second computer and they are titled "read," I'm not sure if that is significant or not.

Thanks for any help,  

-David 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,587 Views)

Hi kehyler,

Here are a few good links for troubleshooting shared variables:

Troubleshooting Shared Network Variables

How to Use Shared Variables and DataSockets to Pass Data Between Two Networked PCs

How Do I Set up Shared Variables to Communicate Between Two PCs?

Beyond this, it sounds like something may be configured incorrectly. Could you please post screenshots or your project itself for further insight? 

Briana P.
Licensing
Sr SW Engineering Manager | NI R&D
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,532 Views)