From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving domains

I have LabView 2014SP1, Vision Development, FPGA, etc.  I have to move my development PC to a new Windows domain where I will be given a new user account.

What steps are needed to ensure all of the current LabView projects, data, licenses, etc are moved to the new acocunt cleanly?

Licenses are associated with my name on ni.com but are tied to the machine (Multi user).  Currently I'm the only one using LabView on the machine.

Thanks,

xl600

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,702 Views)

If your LabVIEW was installed for all users, then you don't need to do anything; it is not associated with a login name and domain.  However, depending on how you saved your projects, you may need to relocate them to a 'public' library or folder so that they will be available to your new user name.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,700 Views)

It's been over a year since installing and licensing.  Is there a simple way to verify how it was installed and licensed?  I'm pretty sure it was for all users, but ...

There's also a number of items which have appeared automatically in my "My Documents".

A "National Instruments" folder with a pile of what appear to be examples.

A "LabView Data" folder with what appears to be a lot of automatically generated LabView administration data and some old projects I created.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,683 Views)

If it was activated for that computer, then it is available for all users of the computer.

As far as your LabVIEW Data folders, just copy them to a public location and then copy them back into your new domain.  You will probably want to copy everything else in MyDocuments anyways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,681 Views)

Well, it seems the process isn't that straight forward.  IP integration nodes appear to have hard coded paths in their definition and support files.  This is a big problem for me as these are all under source control.  It's telling me I have to regenerate everything...

Why would NI have enabled relative paths everywhere else, except IP integration nodes?  This is LabView 2014 for cry'n out loud!

Ugh...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,672 Views)

Looking at this more closely, the absolute paths appear to be stuck in the project file, not the integration node files themselves.

<CLIPDeclarationCategory name="User Defined">
      <CLIPDeclaration name="LvPacker">
         <DeclarationPaths>
            <Absolute>C:\Users\<User Path>\LvPacker.xml</Absolute>
            <MD5>38feda0944d0b1fb56b965b5f86f16bc</MD5>
            <RelativeToLabVIEW>..\..\..\Users\<User Path>\LVPacker\LvPacker.xml</RelativeToLabVIEW>
            <RelativeToNiPubDocs>..\..\..\<User Path>\LVPacker\LvPacker.xml</RelativeToNiPubDocs>
            <RelativeToNiSharedDir>..\..\Users\<User Path>\LVPacker\LvPacker.xml</RelativeToNiSharedDir>
            <RelativeToProject>CLIPs\LVPacker\LvPacker.xml</RelativeToProject>
            <Valid>true</Valid>
         </DeclarationPaths>

The absolute path seems to be getting used by the IP integration node for locating the files of the inplementationlist

<ImplementationList>
            <Path name="LvPacker.vhd">
               <SimulationFileList>
                  <SimulationModelType>Same as synthesis</SimulationModelType>
               </SimulationFileList>
               <TopLevel></TopLevel>
            </Path>

Having any absolute paths in the project seems like a big bug to me.  Having those other relative paths is just as bad given that they are basically absolute.  Everything should be relative to the project file itself and shouldn't traverse to the root then back down (EX: ..\..\..\Users\<User path>).  That's just silly and it totally lobotomizes source control and portability.  I can't even think of how to prevent this other than to put EVERYTHING at the root in a never changing tree structure.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,655 Views)