LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More fodder for a social forum: Hobby uses for Labview

I am currently working on a slot machine vi so that my wife doesn't have to go to Vegas to lose all her money. Simulating the rotating wheels is the hard part, the rest is easy.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 11 of 22
(2,599 Views)
How do you simulate the cigarette smoke and stale air that Vegas is so famous for? 🙂

Sheldon
Technical geek, engineer, research scientist, biodegradable...
Message 12 of 22
(2,593 Views)
I close all the doors and burn a lot of tobacco scented incense. I also play an old recording of a session in a bar room from my old days in a rock n roll band.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 13 of 22
(2,587 Views)
Long ago for a science project in middle school, one of my sons built a LabVIEW application to compare different brands of AA batteries (zink carbon, nicad, alkaline (energizer, duracell, generic, etc.)). We got a handful of 1 Ohm power resistors from Radio shack as loads, then simply measured the battery voltage over time using an AT-MIO card and LabVIEW 4.1.

This was really a great project and had practical relevance due to the typically heavy battery use at that age 😉

The results could be compared at many different levels, e.g.:
  • How long does it take until the voltage drops below a certain level (e.g. 1V).

• What was the total energy stored in each battery

• Compare with the price you paid

• Describe the shape of the discharge curves

• etc.

• The cheapest battery (zink carbon) was actually the most expensive because it did not last very long and the voltage started dropping almost immediately. There were significant differences between the alkaline brands and the best performer was actually the costco store brand (Kirkland) which outperformed duracell and energizer at a fraction of the cost. 🙂

Today, many brands got reformulated and there are even more types available (Lithium, Premium alkaline ("ultra"-something, etc.)) so it might be fun to repeat the experiment.
    Message 14 of 22
    (2,577 Views)
    In the "old" days, the run-time engine was included into the exe and it still made for a large installation. I much prefer the current method where the run-time only has to be installed once. There's no getting away from the run-time engine. Every other programming language requires them as well. The difference between LabVIEW and VC++, VB, .NET, is that the run-time components are often part of the OS and we don't always see them getting installed.

For panning and zooming, you might want to check Bird's Eye View.
    Message 15 of 22
    (2,789 Views)
    Theoretically, one would think that it should be possible to dynamically generate a runtime executable at built time that ONLY contains items that are actually used in that particular application, but it's probably not worth it. (at least we can now decide whether to include lvanlys and friends). Without runtime included, most of my programs are sub-MB and thus easy to handle.

I agree, todays runtime engine approach is much better than the old 4.1 executables, each weighting several megabytes. Even worse considering that back then a 2GB hard disk was considered big.

(If we had the possibility to generate 20kb standalone executables, we probably would have already seen computer virii written in LabVIEW ;))

Curiously, the runtime size follows something similar to Moore's law. Lets look at the runtime sizes:

LV5.1 ... 2.6MB
    LV6.0 .. 10.1MB
    LV6.1 .. 14.1MB
    LV7.0 .. 20.2MB
    LV7.1 .. 32.9MB

Let's all hope that computer technology grows at a faster rate than the runtime size or we'll all be doomed come LabVIEW 20.0 😉
    Message 16 of 22
    (2,768 Views)

@Travs H. wrote:
    Hey Guys!

When I was an intern (back in the day), I wrote a timeclock/earnings VI. The place that I interned at was really picky about not working over 40 hours a week (because they didn't want to pay us overtime). So I wrote a VI that logged your total time at work and gave you an hourglass (tank) that showed you how much time you had left before leaving on Friday. When it hit zero, it would play music out of the speakers. It also gave you up-to-the-second information on how much $$ you had made that day & week. It was fun to go to the bathroom, come back, and realize you had made $5 🙂

Keep up the good posts guys & take care!

Travis H.

That's great. I used to have a stopwatch on my desktop counting down to quitting time. In those more boring moments that was always entertaining to look at and see how much you can make doing nothing. Ah the good old days. Doing a program like that would be fun though.
    Message 17 of 22
    (2,475 Views)
    Hi!

I am browsing this forum to get some tips for my main project ( I am studying cybernetics). The task is to find out if NIs hardware and software is applyable for a quality control system for loudspeakers, for a high end loudspeaker manufacturer in Norway. I have found out that the task of making a measurement system from scratch, is to big for me, since i have not worked enough with Labview (and since the guy i worked with in the project suddenly disappeared...). Then I found this thread...

Would it be posible to have a look at your speaker measurement VI? It would be a invaluable help for me!

regards
    Truls Tambs-Lyche,
    Oslo University collage, Norway,
    Faculty of Engineering.

(if so Tanks!!)
    0 Kudos
    Message 18 of 22
    (2,392 Views)
    Drop me an e-mail and we can talk about my VI's and what you are trying to do.

Sheldon

PS grad students are for writing software.
    Technical geek, engineer, research scientist, biodegradable...
    0 Kudos
    Message 19 of 22
    (2,369 Views)
    My email is: truls.tl@gmail.com

Thanks!

Truls
    0 Kudos
    Message 20 of 22
    (2,349 Views)