From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring RS232 Communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Please is there a way to monitor RS232 communication traffic via VI? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,297 Views)

The NI-VISA VIs work very well for this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,291 Views)

@aderogba wrote:

Please is there a way to monitor RS232 communication traffic via VI? 

Put a VISA Read inside of a loop.  You will likely need to setup the port before the loop to make sure you have the right baud rate and other settings.  Look in the LabVIEW Example Finder (Help->Find Examples) for Simple Serial.vi for a decent place to start.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,266 Views)

What I am really looking for is somehting that works similiar to hardware loop back. Using only software, I need to be able to monitor what is being sent out as well as what is being received. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,225 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aderogba

Ot sounds like you want to "see" what the serial port is doing while another program is using the port like a port sniffer?

If so LabView will not do that as LabView and Ni-VISA must have access to the serial port.

If another program is using the port NI-VISA and LabView will be locked out.

If you start a LabView porgram first NI-VISA will lock the port so no other program can access it.

I believe you need a program like PortMon part of the Sysinternals Suite from MS Technet.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 5 of 6
(4,217 Views)

Or NI IO Trace (NI-Spy), which is probably already installed on the machine...

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-io-trace-3.1.1/4285/en/  if it's not.

Message 6 of 6
(4,198 Views)