cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module based design

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

We have made a report generator using the LabView object structure. The ancestor object talks to the printer and childs produce report content. This makes us able to add/change reports without breaking other functionallity in the code.

Now I would like to separate reporting from the rest of the code. The aims are to work on multiple parts of the code simultainiusly and to reuse code.

Where should I start looking?

Could libraries be usefull in this case?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,768 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean by "seperate reporting from the rest of the code".  Trying to make these a reuse library?  Trying to make a reporting module that other parts of code use some communications scheme to send data to?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,763 Views)

Your option "reuse library" sounds good. We have 1 ancestor and about 10 child objects that generates different report types.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,740 Views)
Solution
Accepted by havard@wide.no
I always put my class structures in libraries because I get better access control.

I also hide the subclasses from the calling application and create a layer of interface VIs in the top-level parent class.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 7
(2,723 Views)

Thanks!

Youy write "hide the subclasses from the calling application" . What do you mean?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,696 Views)
I set the Access Scope of all the subclasses to private so the only access calling applications have is through the dynamic dispatch interface VIs in the top-level parent class.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,683 Views)

I also recommend you learn to use VI Package Manager.  It makes sharing your reuse a lot easier.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,658 Views)