LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Dynamic Dispatch Template

Solved!
Go to solution

When creating a new VI from the dynamic or dispatch templates, I find myself always moving the front panel controls to a particular arrangment that suits my needs better than the default template.

Doing this repeatedly is an enourmous waste of time for me.

Is it possible to modify the template or create my own so that I don't have to do this everytime I create a VI?

Thanks.

-ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,014 Views)

If it's a simple VIT file, open it, make the changes you want, then save as another VIT (I'd use a different name, maybe "Ron's Whatever").  Is this doing something more complicated (like running a script)?  Then you may have to work harder (if this is, indeed, the case, can you provide an example of a Template you are trying to customize?  I'm interested in this issue ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,001 Views)

Bob,

I don't know where this template is stored - it is the standard "dynamic dispatch" and "static dispatch" templates that are accessible through the "New" item in the context menu for a LV class.  See attached screenshot.

This isn't a VIT that I or anyone else in my organization created - otherwise, yeah, we would just edit it!

Thanks,

-Ron

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,996 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rothloup

Take a look in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\resource\Framework\Providers\LVClassLibrary (adjust path as necessary for your version of LabVIEW and install directory). There's a bunch of scripting that happens there, but I think (and I haven't tested this) that the underlying template is CLSUIP_MemberTemplate.vit

EDIT: also, see https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-13196 in case you want to look at non-password-protected versions to see the scripting. These are for LabVIEW 2010, I don't know if they've changed in more recent versions.

Message 4 of 6
(3,983 Views)

Oops -- if I'd paid more attention, the term "Dynamic Dispatch" might have clued me ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,975 Views)

... and having seen Nathan's explanation, I recall messing with some of the Class templates, myself, about a year ago (sadly, I've not been able to devote sufficient time to using and learning LabVIEW OOP to have done this recently ...).  I also had to wipe and reinstall LabVIEW within the last few months, so I've probably clobbered what I did.  I'll look on my home PC and see if I can spot any BS changes ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,971 Views)