LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modification to Open/Create/Replace file vi in Labview

I'm a relative newbie to LabView so this modification described below is a daunting task for me, given the complexity of the block diagram in the Open/Create/Replace file vi .

I want to change the dialog box and choices when you have selected a file that already exists from Replace or Cancel as the only 2 options to:
ReplaceFile  AddToExistingFile  RePromptForANewFile QuitApplication  (this 4 option choice is my first preference)
or at minimum
ReplaceFile  AddToExistingFile  Cancel (adding AddToExistingFile as an option) 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,469 Views)

First of all, you should know that playing with the VIs supplied with LV is not always a good idea and open\create\replace is an example for a particularly not-good-for-editing VI. In any case, you should not overwrite the original.

In this case, you can use Edit>>Find to find the 2 button dialog you're seeing. When I look at where it's located, it's enough to discourage any thought about changing the VI. At the moment it has a single output (overwrite?). You could replace it with a subVI which will have all your buttons, but you will need to add code to handle the extra buttons, which can be very dangerous.

You may wish to create a much simpler logic instead which will do what you want yourself (using the VIs in the File I/O>>Advanced palette, like Open File and File properties), which will probably be safer.

(2,463 Views)
Just to reassure:  I most certainly would not overwrite the existing Open/Create/Replace File vi, but would save the modification under a new name.    
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,458 Views)
I agree with the create a new one, but make sure not to use the / in the filenames. If you ever have to build an exe it will fail because of these.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,446 Views)