LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus communnication using labview???

How can I communicate to a modbus energy meter(EPM 5200) using labview.The device supports modbus,modbus+,ethernet TCP/IP.
Can I use TCP/IP vis in labview???
Thankyou
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,948 Views)
If the communication you need is very simple, like e.g. just to get X modbus register values from the unit then opening a serial og tcp/ip link and sending a fixed string to the unit (assuming it's a slave...is it?) will do the trick. Then you'll get back a string that is fairly easy to decode into an array. I can make an example for you if you specify whether the unit is a slave or a master and what registers you want and do you need to read or write them?

If you need to do more, buying a third party modbus library or building one yourself is the solution. Serial VIs or TCP/IP VIs will be at the bottom of the necessary code, but on top you need code to generate and decode modbus messages. If buying is the preferred way to go just try searching for modbus d
river for LabVIEW on the net. I know you can find one at www.cardiac.no, but that only supports serial modbus as far as I know.

If you want to get to know the protocol check out the documents available at www.modbus.org
Message 2 of 4
(2,948 Views)
Additionally, we have the following Knowledge Base article on the subject:

Do LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-Time Support Modbus?

You might be able to sidestep doing any modbus programming by using an itermediary OPC server that can perform the modbus communication for you. Also, there is an NI alliance member that has a LabVIEW library for modbus support.

-Russell
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,948 Views)
You can also use ModBus driver available at this URL :
http://www.saphir.fr/FR/produits/pilotes/modbus/index.htm

Only in french for the moment 😞 but you can have more info at this e-mail : support-ModBusVIEW@SAPHIR.fr

Olivier

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,948 Views)