cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing nilvaiu.dll when deploying VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a problem when trying to deploy a .VI to my cRIO 9082.

The .VI is to control the velocity of a DC engine (KOLLMORGEN) through a servo drive.

However, whenever i try to deploy the VI i get the error message as follows:

LabVIEW: Failed to load shared library nilvaiu (see also attached image).

The dll is present in the tree (see attached image) and i've just reinstalled the DAQmx 9.x.x.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

Help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jakob.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,589 Views)

Is the 9082 running LabVIEW Real-time (RT)? If so - I would suspect that the DAQmx drivers are not installed on the RT target. I'm not entirely sure how DAQmx works with RT targets as it's not something I've used before (and this thread says that you can't use DAQmx on cRIOs - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/DAQmx-driver-support-in-cRIO-Error-fail-to-load-nilvaiu-dll/td-p/112...

1) Have you checked the software installed on the 9082 (go to max, find your cRIO, click 'software' and then add/remove software) to see if there is an option for installing DAQmx support?

2) Do you have LabVIEW RT support installed with your DAQmx drivers? There's some information about it here but it seems quite out of date http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/79CB44F7E228AED88625756E00445151. I've just taken a screenshot of my DAQmx configuration:

2014-04-03_10-01-43.png

The other options seem to suggest that it's because DAQmx is corrupted but you said that you've tried reinstalling that. Have you also tried 'repairing' it?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,576 Views)

Hello Sam,

I have tried reinstalled both Device Drivers and DAQmx without any luck.

When trying to deploy the VI onto the RT target it suggests that i FTP transfer the nilvaiu.dll.

However, when logging onto the cRIO (using IP in browser) there's a lot of folders and i do not know where to place it.

Could this be a solution, or should i reinstall all drivers (again?)?.

Best regards,

Jzaulich.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,534 Views)

In addition my previous post, here's some illustration describing the system more thoroughly.

The error occurs when im connecting to the cRIO for the first time and whenever i try to deploy the .VI in the system.

As seen on the illustrations, the nilvaiu.dll is on the cRIO under \system and under system\handlers and even under "dependencies" in LabVIEW, however, they must be corrupted as the system is not functioning.

Hopefully, the additional information will help.

Thanks.

/Jakob

Screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mlazfqe5e4ii815/jr5zVaHzwH

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,520 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JZaulich

Hi Jakob.

You cannot use DAQmx on a RIO system - it is two different drivers for two different platforms.

To clearify what DAQmx Real-Time support means; You can have a normal desktop computer, running LabVIEW RT OS, and have a DAQmx PCI Card in that computer. In this case, you can use the DAQmx driver in a RT application.

The 9082 cRIO has the option to either run a RT OS or Win OS. I assume you are running the RT OS. The RT OS on the 9082 is Phar Lap ETS, which means that you can execute .dll files, in the same way you can execute them in Windows. However, it is important to note that even though Windows and PharLap both recognize the .dll file extension, DLLs that run on Windows may not run properly on PharLap targets. To understant the complexity of this, you can read this KB:

How Can I Verify that My DLL is Executable in LabVIEW Real-Time on NI PharLap ETS?

So, with this in mind and without knowing your application, you cannot deploy your application to the cRIO. What's the reason for using DAQmx code? What module are you trying to interface to - maybe we can just replace the API so that you are using the RIO driver instead?

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,504 Views)

Hey Alex,

Once again you clarified a problem and for now the problem has actually been solved.

I used a different .VI without involving any DAQmx code, which now allows me to deploy my .VI without any problems and controlling my DC motor.

Thanks again for your help and service - It is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jakob Zaulich

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,497 Views)

Hi Jakob.

Great, I'm happy you are now up and running Smiley Happy

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos