From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing data in 3D surface plot.

Got an easy one for someone to solve.  I've created a 3D plot, but the plot doesn't show all of the data.

I'm reading data from a set of .txt files and trying to visualize the results via the 3D plot.  Each txt file contains a set of 401 data pairs (y location, measurement).  A scalar (x location) is assigned to each file set, then added to an array containing data from previously read files.  The resulting array is parsed, rearranged, etc. before going to the 3D Surface Plot control.  Looks goofy because this .vi was originally used to combine data from multiple .txt files into a single file.

As you can see from the screen shot, the 3D plot only shows data from 400 to 445 (input data goes to 800).  I checked the plot input arrays/matrices to ensure all of the data was read from the .txt files (it's all in there).  What am I missing?

The .vi is attached along with a sample .txt file.

incomplete plot.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,588 Views)

You might want to transpose the z array so the dimension better match the x and y array sizes. Also eliminate the zero at the end of the y array.

Delete the first column from the z-matrix, it seems to duplicate the y array.

Your data and array gymnastics are incomprehensible and way too complicated. Can you tell how you want to read the input file in some simple words?

Message 2 of 3
(2,580 Views)

Thanks for catching the zero value and the duplicate y-array in the z matrix.

In regards to the inconmprehensible array & data handling, as I said, it's goofy.  Wouldn't have done it this way if built from scratch.

Anyway...

Transposing the z-matrix solved the problem.  Thanks altenbach.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,557 Views)