From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing data folder when creating an executable

I'm working in LV 2010 and want to create a standalone application. I've done this before, on the same PC, but now I can't get it to work. Here's what I'm doing:

I save my work as a project, then in Project Explorer right click on Build Specifications and select EXE.

I go through the file naming, selecting source files  etc, but when I hit 'Generate Preview' I'm not seeing the 'data' sub folder. Every other time I've done this that folder is created.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,368 Views)

Nothing has to be wrong.  The data folder (or support folder) is added to hold files that LabVIEW can't put into the EXE.  When you build that EXE it take thousands of VI files and puts them into the EXE.  But what if you called some DLLs?  LabVIEW can't embed those in the EXE.  Okay maybe it could but it doesn't.  So instead it puts the DLLs in the data folder, then has all the VIs in the EXE re-link to that DLLs new location.

I'm guessing you just don't happen to call any DLLs where in the past you did.  Maybe it wasn't calling them directly but maybe you called a VI from the vi.lib that called it.  Go ahead and build the EXE.  If there are problems running it then I would look into it more.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,354 Views)