From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Service/File Privileges For Windows Platform?

Hello from a lowly IA type. I'm tasked with tightening the security settings on two Windows 7 machines running NI LabView 2014. The scanner I'm required to use, Nessus, has problems with niLXIDiscovery and NITaggerService, as they grant everyone and authenticated users (resp.) full control of the service directories. Can anyone tell me how to whittle those down to something more respectable, without causing issues for the users?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,570 Views)
You need to be talking to NI. What is an IA type?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,542 Views)

Hey Jim,

niLXIDiscovery has to do with autodetecting certain electrical instruments (mostly power supplies) and can probably be stopped without any adverse affects.

the NITaggerService is a little more hairy because it controls network shared variables.  Once again, disabling it will not everything to stop working, but any code that uses shared variables or that communicates over a network will start to throw errors.  When these errors occur, LabVIEW will throw an error to the effect "NITaggerService is not started".  The programmer will probably try to restart it, figure out you've blocked it, and call you.

In short: You can stop both of these services without greatly affecting LabVIEW.

Here is a white paper that explains all of the services installed with National Instruments software:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14487/en/

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,516 Views)

Cool beans, thanks for the link. I don't want to stop the services, but the scanner insists it's a sizeable hole to allow just anyone (Everyone) full access to those folders. Meantime I've trimmed the two folders down from Everyone/Full to Authenticated Users/ReadAndExecute.

Thanks again for the reference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,508 Views)