From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

@tst wrote:

@Steve Chandler wrote:

Now we just need a mega-nugget on building this inth the RCF in order to drop the constants on the BD.

If you want to drop VI server class constants, you can use the class browser (Ctrl+Shift+B), which does essentially the same thing, but also allows you to drag constants to the diagram. Personally, I don't use it, probably because it's too much of a pain. If you vote for this idea, that should simplify this process somewhat - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-Intellisense-support-to-the-property-node/idi-p/15.... The idea mentions the constant near the end.

tst,

Just FYI, Steve was the first person to vote for the Idea back in April. I voted one day after he did. Smiley Happy

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 81 of 361
(5,325 Views)

New with LabVIEW 2011, the Scripting Property Node UID (Unique Identifier) works on decorations (as well as everyting else), making it an ideal method to locate specific decorations on your panel and perform actions on them. Furthermore, since each decoration will have a unique identifier, you can distinguish between decorations that are physically identical.

Here's what the node looks like in use:

UID.png

A LabVIEW 2011 VI is attached for your perusal. You must have SCRIPTING ENABLED.  And you can Read about the UID node here.

Richard

Message 82 of 361
(5,248 Views)

Even with the promotion from private to public I am not yet completely sold on the UID property.  It is linked to the specific VI so not quite as nimble as I would hope (not the equivalent of say a GUID).  Personally I am a fan of tagging objects such as decorations and I have written tools to grab references based on tags as it tends to be more robust than getting them by label.  Plus I can use additional tags to provide hints to the object type to avoid some of the usual To More Specific Class until there is no error machinations.   If you specify that the tags are persistent than they will be transferred via copy and paste as well.

Message 83 of 361
(5,210 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Even with the promotion from private to public I am not yet completely sold on the UID property.  It is linked to the specific VI so not quite as nimble as I would hope (not the equivalent of say a GUID).  Personally I am a fan of tagging objects such as decorations and I have written tools to grab references based on tags as it tends to be more robust than getting them by label.  Plus I can use additional tags to provide hints to the object type to avoid some of the usual To More Specific Class until there is no error machinations.   If you specify that the tags are persistent than they will be transferred via copy and paste as well.

While I haven't had any issues with the nimbleness of UID, I do agree that tags are a great way to distinguish items and get references later. There are two benefits to using Tags in this manner

1) If you change the Label of an item, the reference will still be valid.

2) You will likely have many less Tagged items than you have items with Labels, so programmatically getting the reference of a tagged item should take only a few iterations (traversals), as opposed to perhaps many hundred* if doing it by Label. 

*One of the few times I use a Conditional terminal in a for loop is getting references - I quit the For Loop when I've found the reference I need.

And let me add that using tags is "fun", Smiley Happy and easier than ever. They have recently been exposed as an Invoke Node; whereas before, they were wrapped in VI's located in the user lib, and not documented.

Thanks Darin.K.

Richard

Message 84 of 361
(5,205 Views)

As an expansion to my thoughts on the UID Property Node and its use on Decorations, I have attached a VI that performs animation. Before the UID Property Node, this would have been sketchy at best.

Granted, this animation can be done with boolean indicators, but it would take a lot of them. It could be done with picture controls, but I think it would be more work coming up with all the pictures required.

While there is a good deal of code, it's not "difficult", just a bit tedious. I have made the code tedious-er than it needs to be to explicitly show what's going on - and there's no Sub-VIs for the same reason. I'm also not closing references or doing error checking. You should.

Below is a GIF of some of the animation. Attached is the VI.

PipesAnime.gif

Richard

Message 85 of 361
(4,964 Views)

I have always looked for a better way to stop Producer-Consumer loops. I never liked the kill the Queue to stop the Consumer loop so I create the following.

The Producer stops the Consumer loop in the Exit State and the consumer fires an exit user event to stop the Producer loop.Elegant stop

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 86 of 361
(4,840 Views)

I, too, do not like killing the queue to stop.

When stopping multiple loops the way you propose, you could still end up with destroyed user events or queues before the consumer gets to the information.  I always put the Destroy Queue or Destroy User Event after the Consumer loop.  In programs with more than two loops, I may require that all loops stop before destorying references. 

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 87 of 361
(4,818 Views)

than concatenating the string in the For Loop and using a shift register for the concatenation.
I profiled this with the attached VI and I interested in any confirmation - although I do not expect any PC specific issues with the code.

FP.png

I see quite often the usage of the "inside loop concatenation" and now asked myself if the additional wiring effort ends up in faster code.  It seems to me that I can save some wiring from now on and also save some execution time.

Has there already been a post on that issue which I did not find? Please let me know.

Message 88 of 361
(4,728 Views)

@Guenter Mueller wrote:

than concatenating the string in the For Loop and using a shift register for the concatenation.

This makes complete sense.  When you concatenate inside the loop, you may have to copy the entire contents of the existing string on each loop iteration.  When you concatenate at the end, you only need to copy once - LabVIEW can determine and allocate the full string length, then copy each element into the appropriate position.

0 Kudos
Message 89 of 361
(4,714 Views)

@Guenter Mueller wrote:

I see quite often the usage of the "inside loop concatenation" and now asked myself if the additional wiring effort ends up in faster code.  It seems to me that I can save some wiring from now on and also save some execution time.

Well, You can go about 3x faster than your fast solution by autoindexing the numeric and then format and concatenate later (Bottom image).

(With the disadvantage that you can't really control any useful delimiters, but in this case you would use array to spreadsheet string instead anyway, which is also faster than your solution. Not shown).

Even the slow concatenate solution you presented is a bit convoluted. Format into string has concatenation built_in! So a cleaner solution is possible (top in image). Not super fast, but good enough for small arrays.

Message 90 of 361
(4,706 Views)