LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

I posted this on the old thread. Broken Arrow told me that micronuggets have been moved to here.

Tip strips are a pain. They take their time to show up then seem to go away before you are done reading them.

You can programatically set the caption of a control to be visible on mouse enter and invisible on mouse leave.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 31 of 361
(6,215 Views)

This one blew my mind when I saw it.

A VI that WORKS without RUNNING Smiley Very Happy how is that possible

You'll need a network connection to view

Spoiler
Active X IS running the LabVIEW RTE isn't

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 32 of 361
(6,195 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

This one blew my mind when I saw it.

A VI that WORKS without RUNNING Smiley Very Happy how is that possible

You'll need a network connection to view

Check out this post by blawson. There are two vi's: Top level with UI elements.vi and subVI handles the events.vi.

Run the first vi and it will start the second one. When the mouse is over the subvi an LED on the top level vi turns on.

Now here is the crazy thing. Click on the stop button for the subvi. The event still works!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 33 of 361
(6,165 Views)

If you make an EXE and find that some of the fonts are larger or smaller than you expected, it's because the EXE has rolled back to the default font sizes. An EXE doesn't look for your labview.ini file, so it doesn't know that you you use 14 Application Font rather than 13 (for instance) . Here's what I put in the ini file of all my built applications (i.e. the ini file that LabVIEW makes for you [such as MyApplication.ini] when you do a build).

AppFont="Tahoma" 14
SystemFont="Tahoma" 14
DialogFont="Tahoma" 14

That'll do pig! :mantongue:

Richard

Message 34 of 361
(6,120 Views)

I don't know where this is documented but I accidentally stumbled upon the fact that when the cursor is over a case, event, sequence structure, etc., using the mousewheel will scroll through frames.

I did a search on this forum and found only one reference to this functionality in a lonely little two year old kudoless thread

Edit: Link was broke

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 35 of 361
(6,053 Views)

Grr.. Too late to edit. While pressing control, using the mousewheel will scroll through frames.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 36 of 361
(6,040 Views)

SteveChandler a écrit :

I don't know where this is documented but I accidentally stumbled upon the fact that when the cursor is over a case, event, sequence structure, etc., using the mousewheel will scroll through frames.

I did a search on this forum and found only one reference to this functionality in a lonely little two year old kudoless thread

Edit: Link was broke

Have a look at the LabVIEW Quick Reference Card that ships with LV... and nobody read...

Message 37 of 361
(5,993 Views)

I beg your pardon!

HPIM2661.png

OK, I haven't really read it, but it's right thereSmiley Very Happy

Jim

LV 2020
Message 38 of 361
(5,958 Views)

many years ago I learned that RTFM sperated the "men for the boys" when it came to O-scopes. I never personally met anyone who would claim that they actually read the manual that came with the scope but would rather just start cranking on the knobs.

Same thing applies to LV. RTFM, and then read all of the update notes and it will only be the sneaky stuff that escapes you.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 39 of 361
(5,951 Views)

@JB wrote:
Have a look at the LabVIEW Quick Reference Card that ships with LV... and nobody read...

The fact that nobody reads it makes it a perfect micronugget Smiley Happy But there it is - ctrl mousewheel right in the first section. I have to admit that it was a long time ago that I looked at that thing. At the time there were so many things about LabVIEW that I was trying to absorb. I guess it is good to go back and read the stuff that NI painstakingly puts together from time to time.

I took the Core1 class after I had been using LabVIEW for a number of years. I got the training membership so what the heck. 95% of it was really boring as I suspected. But there were a few jewels that I took away from it. Like how you can right-click on a subvi and disable view as icon and get a yellow express vi looking thing. Very useful for inherited subvis with way too many terminals. Even though it has been sitting there on the right click menu all these years I never noticed it.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 40 of 361
(5,932 Views)